Water return measure?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

warped1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello folks - I've got a question. Is there a way to measure or some how gauge the water return from a canister pump? This is my first ever canister and I am using the Marineland C-220, a new unit by this company. I read on this site that the water return on other canisters are so strong that they require a spray bar. I don't see that kind of current. The attachment that came with the unit to disburse water return is a square looking thing with directional vents (not a spray bar). But it just don't seem like allot of return pressure so I was wondering if somehow I could get a reading on it?
Thanks for the help on this one folks

Don't confuse pressure with flow. You're not going to see any pressure... it's flow you're after.

With that said, they do make little cheapie flow meters that you can plumb inline with your plumbing, but I'm not sure how you'd hook that up to the output of your cannister easily. Your best bet would be to just redirect the output into a marked bucket of some sort (with marks at every quart or gallon) and count how many gallons or quarts you get when the pump is turned on for 1 minute. Then just multiply that number (in gallons) by 60 and you'll have your GPH figure. Crude, but it works.

The Dr Foster & Smith catalog has a flow meter that would work perfectly in your situation.

Just found it: page 18, F&S Aquarium Supplies 25 years... at the bottom,
part #AGN-25783 $ 7.99 for up to 250 gph
part #AGN-33040 $ 21.99 for 200 to 500 gph

Attaches inline to your output tube.

Hope this helps...

Back
Top Bottom