Water Softener (Potassium Chloride) Use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MollysMollies

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have an 85 gal Discus tank among other smaller tanks and have just purchased a Potassium Chloride water softener system and Reverse Osmosis drinking water system for my entire house. Anyone have experience on using this softened water for tanks?
I have the option of leaving a valve available with the city water to use for my tanks. Looking for experienced advice on this. I don’t want to hurt my fish. Thanks!

If I can’t have them on the softened water, I’ll have to get a storage tank with a heater for water changes since it won’t be going through to the water heater.

I wouldn't think potassium chloride would affect them adversely. If you switch over from tap water I would switch out say....10% of the water daily to get them acclimated.

Gradual change is best. Also look into the buffering quality, I'm not a chemist but if its like other chemicals used to soften water, may "wear out" faster than you change water which could lead to parameter/ph swings. Not good for any fish, def bad for discus

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom