water temp stuck at 90

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach119

Aquarium Advice Activist
i filled my tank yesterday is im sure i told you on other threads and i had my heater on 76 and it heated it up nicely in a short time then i looked again and it was at 90 and has been stuck ever since and i turned the heater off but theres no fish in there only water so thats good at least but how the heck do i get this temp to stay under control??? also i have been leaving my light off cuz i thought that was the source but its not any other suggestions and how does a chiller work?

Did you check to be sure both your heater and your thermometer are working correctly? You can put ziplock bags of Ice in the tank to get the temp down. What is the ambient temp in the room?

Did you unplug the heater? Sounds like a faulty thermostat. Doubt it is the lights. Being in Illinois I doubt it is the ambient temperature too (unless you are in a nursing home and heating your home to 80 degrees or higher). Doubt you need a chiller, I bet it is your heater...

How about floating or placing in sump (if you have one) one of those frozen 'ice packs'? Of course make sure is not leaking and it's very clean. Hopefully you won't end up with fish soup...

:cry:

problem solved i had one of those cheap lil thermometres from the lfs and somehow the peice with the mercury got slide all the way up the thing that holds the thermometer to the plactic fixure and it was saying really high i slid it down and not its 76 boy i feel stupid about that one

Back
Top Bottom