Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-14-2014, 05:41 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Activist

I did all of the tests. Now I followed all the instructions and this is what I got. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389735661.308964.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	216689Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389735672.673911.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	216690Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389735681.740938.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	216691

Old 01-14-2014, 05:42 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Activist

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389735698.342732.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	216692Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389735708.459861.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	216693
I never got a reading like that from the nitrates before. That Im worried about

Old 01-14-2014, 05:44 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Activist

I want help to get my tank where it needs to be not people telling me just quit a hobby I enjoy
Old 01-14-2014, 06:13 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Activist

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389737581.927509.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	216699
Sorry. This one didn't show
Old 01-15-2014, 01:32 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist

Anyone?
Old 01-15-2014, 09:28 PM   #26

We've told you everything we can with the information you're providing. Your pH is fine now but I don't like how you got there. Using the cichlid buffer by seachem that I suggested would have been a much smarter way of getting your pH and hardness up.

You have high ammonia, but you also have nigh nitrate and no nitrite. So your tank is cycled, but somehow you've gotten a large ammonia spike. No way to know what you did wrong without more information.

Again, it'd be wise to rehome the fish you have until you get the tank under control. They could develop bloat, for example, due to stress from the ammonia, and then you'd have the expense of epsom salt and metronidazole on your hands.

Take the fish out, rehome them, and get your ammonia under control. Then dose 4ppm of ammonia from a bottle and keep it at 4ppm until all the ammonia is converted to nitrite then nitrate. This will help your bacterial population get large enough to properly support fish.

Are you doing anything ridiculous like emptying out your aquarium to clean it? Are you changing the gravel all the time? Do you clean out your entire filter at once?
Old 01-15-2014, 09:42 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Activist

I did add fish very quickly. I added 4 then a week later 10. That was probably my problem. I just don't understand how I can do a 50% WC then another 50% a hour later and still have high evens of ammonia. I barely feed the fish lately. I give them 1 pellet per fish in the tank once a day. What else do you need to know
Old 01-15-2014, 10:35 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistersprinkles View Post
I asked already but I'll ask again, what brand of test kit are you using? Are you sure they are not expired? To read the test, stand under the whitest light possible (or sunlight) and hold the test tube against the white backed card that came with the test kit that has the colors on it.

What exactly does it say on the test kit you're using (ie, API High range pH test kit, etc)

Take a picture of your completed test next to the color chart and post it. Might help.

The test kit(s) came with instructions. Have you read them? (ie, you have to shake bottle 2 of the nitrate kit for 30 seconds, then shake the test tube for 60 seconds, etc)
If you want to offer help, offer help. DON'T keep bashing the OP for making mistakes or not understanding why their tank is in trouble. He/she is here to get help, not a lecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by msalmony8688 View Post
I want help to get my tank where it needs to be not people telling me just quit a hobby I enjoy
Don't be put off. By asking for help, you are showing passion and a will to learn. They are the backbone of a good aquarist. Have a read of this and it should help you out....
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Old 01-15-2014, 10:45 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the backup and that was a very helpful link. I have been doing a lot of water changes and will start to increase them again. Now, when I do a 40% or more water change I notice the fish gasping for air and that's when I lost a fish last time I did that. They act fine till then. Normal or am I doing something wrong. I add the declorinator to the new water before adding to the tank and match temps
Old 01-15-2014, 10:45 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086 View Post
If you want to offer help, offer help. DON'T keep bashing the OP for making mistakes or not understanding why their tank is in trouble. He/she is here to get help, not a lecture
Only "bad" thing I said was "I asked already but I'll ask again" and even that is really pretty benign IMO.
Can you explain to me how explaining how to read a test kit and asking if the OP had read the instructions is bashing them? Because I just don't see it. I think you're being, with all due respect, overly-sensitive on someone else's behalf, whom I seriously don't believe I've offended at this point. Nor have I tried to.

--------------------------------------

Msalmony- can you tell me what kind of filter you're using and what media you have in it? Have you cleaned all the media at once and the inside of the filter (could cause ammonia spike) or have you changed the gravel/sand out or otherwise done anything that could have upset your beneficial bacteria?

As to your fish freaking out when you do a water change- it's possible you have a high level of dissolved gasses in your water, or something else which is irritating the fish. You could try letting the water "age" in a large plastic container, then adding it to your tank. You would want a heater for this container, so that the water was the same temperature as your aquarium when you used it. This may ease the stress caused by water changes.

Also, this may be a silly question, but have you directly tested your tap water for ammonia? Some people get ammonia in their tap water.

Tags
ate, test, test kit, test kits, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com