Water test kits? How to?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's a well. Can I buy already good water from stores for aquariums?

Yeah, sure, you can buy drinking water and put it in the aquarium. If it's distilled, you'll need to add back minerals. If it's spring water, it should be fine as-is. Buying water by the gallon gets expensive in a hurry.

I see that you are in York, PA. I'm from Central, PA also, with all the farms in this area, your water is bound to be screwed up from run off, especially if it is well water. If you do have well water, I would have it professionally checked for your health, there can be much worse things than ammonia in that water(but that's not about your fish) ....

I love this forum, they gave me great advice and helped me start up my tank and get the right products I needed. I think all the advice here on this thread is correct. But maybe since you are in a dire situation, waiting for replys on a forum isn't the best thing for you right now. May be a little hands on and face to face advice might be better.

There is a great fish store in Lancaster called That Fish Place. Very well known across PA and the region, and luckily they are right in your backyard. They have a lot of knowledge there and can help you test your tank and tap water properly, give you good advice as to what is happening and how to fix it. I found them to be a good group there, and they seem to want their customers to be enthusiastic hobbiests, not just sell a tank and fish (plus they have some cool tanks set up, to look at). It doesn't hurt to stop in.
Just don't leave with more fish ... yet :)

It's a well. Can I buy already good water from stores for aquariums?

This will still cost you more money after only a couple of months, than buying an RO/DI system and using that to make your own water. You're also going to avoid the pain of carrying 5 gallon (50lbs) jugs of water over your shoulder home from the market.

But if that's what you want to do, go for it. Before you decide on a water source, look around and see who actually delivers. You may be able to get cheap delivery of water to your house, you never know. Also, call your water source prospects and ask them for a detailed list of their water parameters. What's the TDS, what's the breakdown of minerals and chemicals in the water? Is there any fluoride? (not really bad for fish but a lot of it isn't good either) what's the pH? Is there any nitrate in the water? etc etc.

Pick a water with a high pH (7.7-8.4) since you want to keep stuff from lake Malawi. Also, relatively high hardness.

Back
Top Bottom