Water Turnover Rate for Freshwater Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Desert Sea

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Need help deciding what size filter would be best for my 29 gallon tank. I have read that you can never have too much water turnover but there must be a point when it becomes excessive/non productive. Also no need to pay more for filter media for a larger filter than what you can take advantage of.

Any recommendation on what water turnover rate I should be aiming for? Have read anywhere from 3x to 10x tank size per hour.

Thanks.

I think minimum of 3. Also I always figure I will get a bigger tank, (lol) and try to go with a more filtration is better - almost always!!!

Also the filter ratings aren't always as accurate and tend to over sell what they will be after they get dirty and media is clogged a little.

At 5x it would be around 145 gph and it would depend on the kinds of filters you are looking at and also what type of fish, whereas Goldfish would be 10 times per hour minimum.

I think minimum of 3. Also I always figure I will get a bigger tank, (lol) and try to go with a more filtration is better - almost always!!!

Also the filter ratings aren't always as accurate and tend to over sell what they will be after they get dirty and media is clogged a little.

At 5x it would be around 145 gph and it would depend on the kinds of filters you are looking at and also what type of fish, whereas Goldfish would be 10 times per hour minimum.

+1 Also, a 10x turnover rate is best for planted tanks. Stream tanks and saltwater tanks need more. My recommendation for you is a canister filter. I've always gone with Eheim.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the replies. I will start off with a 5X turnover rate and see how it goes from there. If that doesn't seem to do the trick, I'll move up to either adding another filter or a larger filter.

I use an Aqueon filter that I believe does 10x per hour. I have two 10-20 gal filters that run in a 20gal. I heavily recommend Aqueon. It is a great brand. I have had great success with it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Aquaeon has been a good hard working brand of filter for me over the years. I like Hagen Aqua Clear but there is a problem after they get wear on them, maybe 2 years will tend to not self prime after a power outage. Not a huge big deal if you are around and think to check it. Things wear out over time.

Aqueon has been great in sand substrate in particular. At that time I didn't know to use a sponge prefilter as well... in the longevity of the filter (you can also turn it off while you stir up a big mess just remember to turn it back on). Walmart brand wore out in my CaribSea sand tank in over a week and maybe Tetra after a couple months.

As for big canister filters, I can not say enough how awesome my Fluval FX-5 is. Future filter food for thought.

Last edited:
Aquaeon has been a good hard working brand of filter for me over the years. I like Hagen Aqua Clear but there is a problem after they get wear on them, maybe 2 years will tend to not self prime after a power outage. Not a huge big deal if you are around and think to check it. Things wear out over time.

Aqueon has been great in sand substrate in particular. At that time I didn't know to use a sponge prefilter as well... in the longevity of the filter (you can also turn it off while you stir up a big mess just remember to turn it back on). Walmart brand wore out in my CaribSea sand tank in over a week and maybe Tetra after a couple months.

As for big canister filters, I can not say enough how awesome my Fluval FX-5 is. Future filter food for thought.

I have had my Aqueon filters for coming up on 2 years in April, and the guy I got the tank from had the equipment before I did for heaven knows how long. I ran it with sand no problem and now gravel. They hold up to anything! I even picked up an Aqueon heater for the reason of quality and amazing warranty. I couldn't ask for anything better.

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I ended up ordering a Fluval C3 HOB filter. It should give me just over 5 water changes per hour. The C series is very similar to the AquaClears. Same parent company. I liked how it was setup like a canister filter and provides the ability to customize the filter media. I would have went with a small canister filter but there was no place to put it with the cabinet the tank is on.

I always try to tell people that if you put the factory sponge at the very bottom of the media basket, and then put 100% polyester bedding sold in the craft section of Walmart for $3.xx a lifetime supply sized bag, and finally add your biological media of choice. Might I recommend Biomax or Matrix or the equally efficient and much more economical lava rock sold for bbq's at Walmart or Lowes or Home Depot. You can get away with almost never having to replace anything else other than the polyester filter floss. You'll have to occasionally rinse out the sponge with a couple squeezes when the water flow shows an issue. Mechanical media sold by brand name companies can be expensive, but this way is more effective and exponentially cheaper. Simply cut it down to a size slightly larger than the basket and to desired thickness. Replace every time you service your filter. Keep on fish keeping. -_-

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom