Water turnover rate recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

austinsdad

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've forgotten... and too lazy to search, but what is the recommendation for a saltwater reef/fish tank? I'm about to plan on a 1270 return pump on a 155g.

10-20 x tank size is recommended gph. 1550 - 3000 gph for your tank. Is the 1270 pump rated that at 0" head?

Yeah. @ zero head it comes to 8.2x. If it goes 4' up or so, how much am I loosing. I think I'll want to get it up to 12 - 15x tank size. Sounds like more money - - of course.

Sounds like more money - - of course.

:) I wonder if there will ever be a time in an aquarists life, that upgrading and optimizing a system will actually cost less than what was initially expected. lol.

What kind of pump are you talking about? what diameter of plumbing?

ryguy said:
:) I wonder if there will ever be a time in an aquarists life, that upgrading and optimizing a system will actually cost less than what was initially expected. lol.

When aquarists expectations become realistic in relation to the amount of money they are willing to part with..
:wink:

Try using this to determine which pump you'd want depending on your configuration:

http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/hlc2.php

....Then...add as much flow, using Tunzes, Seios, or whichever method you want to spend for or use...to get the overall flow somewhere like 25 to 30 times the 155 gallons you have. Strong water flow will not disappoint you.

I got a nice bit of cyano for a while even with close to 20x turnover. I just cut my lighting back to 8 hours a day and everything settled down.

got a nice bit of cyano for a while even with close to 20x turnover
Check for excessive PO4, nitrates, and watch for temperature fluctuations. Also be sure not to over-feed the tank and use RO/DI water. Distributing the flow evenly throughout the entire tank will help to eliminate any "dead spots" ie. behind rock work, low in the tank, etc. where cyano tends to show up/thrive. HTH
**PS-Austinsdad sorry for going off topic.

Avi, thanks for the find. Those are some nice calculators. Only thing, I can't check the one I already purchased. Good thing I can send it back if I need. Gonna add two 3/4" sea swirls to the returns, but sounds like I'm still needing a decent amount ore flow than the 1270 minus head loss.

MT79, I was thinking dead spots also for the cyano.

Back
Top Bottom