Wattage to Volume ratio?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nickb

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hey guys can anyone help me out? whats the rule of thumb for how many watts of lighting you need per gallon/liter of water for the tank? Also my tank is 300L but relatively deep(75cm) for its length(90cm) so will I need to take this into account?

I heard its 1 watt/gallon, but then have heard other ideas aswell....

Cheers
Nick

Is it A freshwater planted tank? Or is it just fish. If its Reef I would go with a Nova T5 or Metal halides with around 500Watts. If its FW planted, Then a PC light would work fine. If its just fish, then any light you want.

hey man, planted setup with fish, not extreamly heavily planted though. SO what do you mean by a PC light? cheers

What plants are you planning to have? How high tech you want to go? <ie CO2, ferts, etc?>

If you want just a few plants, you are best to go with low light (1-2 WPG) to avoid algae. Your tank is about the same size/depth as mine & my 4x32W = 128W of T8 works fairly well at low/med level. That is about the same light level as 2x54W T5-HO, or 2x55W PC. <Those 3 are your best choices IMO .... 1 WPG is too little light ... tried it, & nothing grows.>

i am going to have to agree. get a 2x54w T5 ho it should be ok for you. how much light you will need over the tank depends on what type of plants you are adding not how many.

hey guys thanks for the help.

to anwser some questions; i aim for a resonable setup, i dont have the money to afford a high tech system, in terms of CO2 i thought id try a DIY injector from yeast culture. Plant wise im not fully edjucated on the various species yet but want a variety of grasses, shrubs and taller plants, at a moderate quantity but not the intensity that you see in 'Winner of Planted Aquarium 2009' scale. Hope that helps?

So aiming for a bit over 100W by the sounds then.... What about 3 x 38W bulbs?

You know i was interested in it too, so your advices are rather helpful for me. Tnx a lot! :p

Back
Top Bottom