Watts Per Gallon with Energy Saving Bulbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The sea monkeys Rock

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,

Quick questions. I was looking at various WPG forumlas across the internet. I am using an energy saving bulb, 6500k for my small 3.2G tank. I only have two Cabomba plants.

The bulb is 5w energy saving bulb, which is reported to be equivalent to 25w of a normal bulb. Which wattage number do I run by here? 5w or 25w?

Also, would 6500k output be sufficient for my Cabomba plants? I just bought a timer, was planning on putting the light on for 6-8 hours. Probably not enough C02 in the tank for anymore. I am not using any carbon injection methods. Would that be ok?

Many Thanks

The WPG theory is going out, and PAR is a better measurement of lighting.

Yea, you would use the 5 watt per gallon rule, but if your using CFL's it's 1.75 which would make that 5 watts actually equal 8.75 watts for one bulb. Double that if you have 2.

If they get much smaller I will need glasses to change bulbs.:lol:

Haha I know right the t5's are what like 18 mm radius I think mabey 15mm I don't remember exactly but the new t2's are only 7mm radius you could also look into led's I've seen a few websites that carry square or rectangle panels specifically for plant growth.

I'm pretty sure that T5HO will be replaced by LEDs and not another type of fluorescent. T2s have been out for a while now and haven't managed to get a foothold in the hobby.

I'm pretty sure that T5HO will be replaced by LEDs and not another type of fluorescent. T2s have been out for a while now and haven't managed to get a foothold in the hobby.

Oh I've just recently heard of them and what I did read was that if they could get the aquaria market they could be the competition to led's due to there size vs output for the people who cant afford plant capable led's but I'm sure by then led's will be less expensive.

Thank you for this link. You're right, it's everything you'd ever need to know![/QUOTE]

I know right I even enjoyed his article on uv sterilizers.

Back
Top Bottom