Wave maker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wreck_it_Pabs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is (1) 3200gph wavemaker/Powerhead to much for a 55gal FOWLR tank? What is the rule of thump?

image-773087346.jpg

what it that contraption you have there?!? if you can dial it down a bit, i dont think its overkill.

looks like a DC wavemaker..... if it's dc you cant really dial it down, all you can do is setup an on/off auto switch which would be fairly useless in this case.

if you are referring to DC-powered, then the OP should be able to dail it back. would just require some form of a voltage regulator (i believe thats the required part)

was referring to DC powered..... I personally have tried dialling back a few dc powered wave makers, I always semi-get them dialled back but they do somehow overtime start falling apart. could be just me..... but looking at the picture, they look those $20-50 wavemakers you get off ebay that don't really work well when you start tampering with them..... but could be wrong... could be a decent wavemaker that might work ok dialling it down

was referring to DC powered..... I personally have tried dialling back a few dc powered wave makers, I always semi-get them dialled back but they do somehow overtime start falling apart. could be just me..... but looking at the picture, they look those $20-50 wavemakers you get off ebay that don't really work well when you start tampering with them..... but could be wrong... could be a decent wavemaker that might work ok dialling it down

Yeah it is from ebay I kinda over sized to much huh..lol do you have any personal experience with this..?

lol yea it's a tad oversized. I honestly think you should see if you can return it and get your money back. I have had soooo much trouble with those cheapish wavemakers, either they just fully die or either the plastic mesh around the fan breaks off and stops the fans from spinning. I think in my time ive gone through probably 6-8 of those wavemaker and only successfully had 1 last a few years. I eventually gave up and bought a couple of mp40's and now it's all perfect :) .... which may be a tad overpowering for yours as well.

With the ebay wavemakers, I've tried different controllers to slow them down..... no luck on any, also tried building a few things myself to control the flow a little and had little luck, only been able to setup successfully an auto switch on and off function but the noise they put out when flicking on and off does my head in so gave up on them...... you may have better luck but that's my personal experience.

maybe just try and return them and get a smaller wavemaker or if you cant.... just cut your loses and look for a smaller wavemaker

I've been using the ebay "wavemakers" for a while with no issue. Absolutely no noise. Magnets are super strong. I wouldn't mess with them. Just use as is. Dialing down or putting on a wavemaker controller is not for these.

Back
Top Bottom