Wave Maker Timing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phil4fish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there,
I'm trying to figure out what to get wave maker wise as well as what timing settings to use once I get it.

My main interest is getting an anemone, probably a bubble tip. I'm also likely going to get some soft corals but plan to keep it simple so I'm not gearing for acropora or anything difficult (even though an anemone may present a bigger challenge).

Observation: I dive a lot and unless you're shallow, say 15 ft or so, there isn't much wave action. Tidal influence current seems to be the most prevalent water movement at depth. The most incredible coral growth I ever saw was on a dive site in Palau called Oolong Channel. It was a drift dive and the current was quite fast when we dove it and it was moving one direction on the incoming tide. I also came across a huge anemone with some skunk clowns in it too. All the anemones I saw on that trip were at depth.

So, here's my question: given that I'm looking at doing an anemone and soft corals, what's the best settings to use to mimic currents that reflect tidal flow and not just wave generated surge? What do anemones like most? Can I get away with an AC wave maker (cheaper) like Sicce's or should I stick to selling my left arm for a 12v (e.g. ecotech) that can ramp up over time? Am I overthinking it?

You don't even need alternating current. Just make sure there is enough flow in the tank overall. Yes, you are over-thinking it. The anemone will end up where it wants to anyway. What size tank is this?

I agree, although proper flow can influence a corals growth pattern as well as rate of growth. I prefer a gentle back and forth movement. With softies it insures both sides of the polyps are absorbing light as well as exchanging gas efficiently.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sorry for the slow reply. Thanks for the feedback, I'll put off going overkill on wave maker for now. As fr the tank, it's a 120 gal (under construction) and I'm planning on putting either a pair of AI Hydra 26s or 3 AI primes if they ever get released. Would that be sufficient lighting? It's a standard size 120 (4x2x2). I'm in good shape with everything else I think. Of note: I'm using a sicce 3.5 for the return. Protein skimmer should be plenty big.

Back
Top Bottom