Wave Maker Vs. Glass!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
People say a lot of things that arent true or based on any actual evidence. That is the problem with the internet. Any idiot can get online and start sharing their random ideas or rumors they have heard. For example, you have a headache and type into google "Headache remedies". You will likely get a few people who pop up saying "My aunt had the same thing and it was brain cancer, she died the next day". The internet LOVES putting fear into people and always going with the absolute worst case scenario. Take what you read with a grain of salt and only trust things you hear from multiple reliable sources.

Yes. Once the sound wave generated is at the resonate frequency of a thin glass, like a nice wine glass, the oscillations will cause the glass to shatter. There are even humans that can sing notes (like the old commercials) that will break a glass. Mythbusters 2004.
It's back to shock waves and their speeds thru different mediums.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Rogue waves are generally created by refractive focussing, focusing by currents, modulation instability or a combination of the above. Wind action alone won't generally create a wave that's classified as a "rouge wave."

Fluidics class, 1973, University of Missouri Engineering School. But I did have to look it back up again!

Last edited:
But resonating waves are influenced by the viscosity and volume of the medium they are translating thru. For instance the standing wave you can create in a fish tank could indeed damage the tank, after a while, but the energy focused is also in the vertical vector, so you would get very wet and the contents of the tank would look like they were in a washing machine.

We might not be on the same page Greg. All along I refer the wave maker as a pump to create waves in your tank which obviously are standing waves. Of course nobody wants an excessive wave amplitude that is why only small pump is used. You may be right that the force is concentrated only in vertical victor. It's not the force that will have an effect in your seal but it's the dynamic swinging of pressure. If your seal stays elastic for a long period of time then you are safe. What about for the old tanks with brittle seal? Just a minute continuous stretching of that seal will eventually give way prematurely.

Back
Top Bottom