Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-23-2011, 11:11 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks X. Wish I could find the post again on the other forum. He had some pretty good data on them.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:13 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i just read this, which states they are junk-
anyone have PAR values for wavepoint t5 lamps? - Reef Central Online Community

Old 09-23-2011, 11:14 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

if the hearsay was true, the guy "grim reefer" is very reliable.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:22 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is odd. I don't see anything by the grim reefer in that thread. Thebanker was one who was in the thread I found on the same site. About halfway through the thread he ended up buying a set and posted that he loved them. The par measurements the originator gave looked pretty good to me. Started out around 650 new compared to 450 for 3 mth old ATI. At 6 mths, he compared again and they were somewhere around the 450 mark which is where the ATI were after 4 mths. I think he was checking the 24" lamp so I don't know how that would hold up on a 48.

Got to run out to some job sites and deliver checks but I am anxious to discuss this more. Sure wish I could find the thread I was looking at. I think you would have been interested in reading it.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:34 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

hmm. i'll buy a few and check them with a PAR meter then. unfortunately, i am not going to be doing that until i get water in my tank.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:06 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just got back to the office and remembered where I saw the other thread. Check this out. Some pretty good info in it from what I could tell.

wave point t-5 bulbs - Reef Central Online Community
Old 09-23-2011, 03:01 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to spideybry Send a message via MSN to spideybry Send a message via Skype™ to spideybry
I was literally just about to post that -_- found if before I looked at this page.

Numbers seem alright with the par. Some people even say it looks better than the ATI blue plus.

As far as the colors go, they seem to be fairly similar except on the peaking with green on the 12k from wavepoint, and the ATI Aquablue Special. So we can safely say that the 12k is a bit warmer than the ATI equivalent.

As far as PAR goes, the numbers on that thread seem alright, but they were just random tests with no real baseline so to speak, so we really do not know how accurate they are.

I would honestly stay safe with the ATI bulbs, then again I have never tried the Wavepoints.

ATI Blue Plus

ATI Aqua Blue Special

ATI Pro Color
Old 09-23-2011, 03:17 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks Bry. For me at this point in time, it all boils down to the cash. LOL While I know from all the input from you, X and Carey I would be safe with the ATI, I can get my hands on what I need for about $50 less. On top of that, I am supporting a LFS that is near by and trusted on the Atlanta Reef forum. I would rather help keep her doors open than support a mega on-line retailer if I can do so without hurting myself too much. Besides, I only have 4 small frags at this point and will be adding very slowly over the next 6-8 months. These will just have to due for now.

If I knew a bit more about it, I would be happy to report back what I find out once they are up and running but I don't think I would be a lot of good to all of you in your evaluations. Best I could do is post pics.

I really do appreciate the help you guys give. Makes this "Sport" that much more enjoyable.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:09 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Well, I'm no Mr X but I was going to put the wavepoints in my 12 bulb fixture until I found a sale on ATI. The wavepoints kinda confused me though, most sites have them listed as 33 inch bulbs when I wanted 36 inch bulbs. The wattage was the same though so I didn't know what to make of it. That reason alone was enough to derail me and what kept me from upgrading the bulbs months earlier. I just couldnt' get the straight facts. If you have those bulbs in front of you can you measure them?

That would be a favor for me as well,as if I need new bulbs again I might just go to wave point. They get decent reviews too, I spent weeks researching them. lol

a 33" lamp is a 36"

T5s are metric dimensions so they aren't in inches they are a length in millimeters
Old 09-24-2011, 12:37 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to spideybry Send a message via MSN to spideybry Send a message via Skype™ to spideybry
lol no problem man. At some point give then a shot, for now like you said, it isn't too inportant. Some bulbs can go a long way, then you get other bulbs and you're like wow.

I think I am going down to Atl, any stores you recommend?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com