Wave Point Lamps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdnelson99

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am in the middle of a 6 Lamp 54W T5 DIY and it is time to get my hands on the lamps. A local LFS is running a special on Wave Point right now where I can get them at about the same price as on-line with no frt charges. I wish I could do ATI as Mr._X has suggested but I need to save some money on this build at the moment. Has anyone had an experience with these lamps and would you care to share? Would love to hear from the experts. Yes, that means you Mr._X. :D

Well, I'm no Mr X but I was going to put the wavepoints in my 12 bulb fixture until I found a sale on ATI. :) The wavepoints kinda confused me though, most sites have them listed as 33 inch bulbs when I wanted 36 inch bulbs. The wattage was the same though so I didn't know what to make of it. That reason alone was enough to derail me and what kept me from upgrading the bulbs months earlier. I just couldnt' get the straight facts. If you have those bulbs in front of you can you measure them?

That would be a favor for me as well,as if I need new bulbs again I might just go to wave point. They get decent reviews too, I spent weeks researching them. lol

Thanks Carey. All fluorescent lamps come in standard lengths. The 36" lamp refers more to the length of the fixture it is made to go in than the length of the lamp itself. Some manufactures list it for the size of the fixture, in your case 36" and some list as the length of the lamp itself as in the 33". If the wattage of the lamp matches the wattage of your fixture the lamp should be the standard length.

I saw a post on another forum where a guy studied the Wave Points for better than a year. From reading the entire post it appears to me that they are a very viable alternative to the ATI. But, I have come to trust Mr._X on almost everything so I am hoping to hear what he thinks of them. :)

Oh I would agree, if you can get X in here that would be the best information. I can't remember for the life of me if I asked him already. I'm sure I did just can't recall what he said. lol

I'll do a quick search and see if i can't find his post. Might not be able to locate it as I started soo many threads about lights LOL

What do you mean you can't remember. It isn't like you follow a lot of posts or anything. LOL

I have been wadding over lamps for sometime. I want the best but cash is so tight right now. I was about to buy 2 of the 3 pack lamps from Petco ($21 for 3) knowing they were garbage but just couldn't spend $130.00 plus shipping for the ATI. Then, yesterday this LFS posts on another forum that she is headed your way for a trade show and can get great deals if anyone were interested. I asked her about lamps and she said she could give me 20% off what she normally charges. That puts her right at the $15.00 mark that you can find on-line but I don't have to pay any frt. On top of that, she stocks them so replacement down the road shouldn't be an issue either.

I just searched through a few of my light posts, no Mr X responses that I can find unless its in my 125g build and then I'll never find it lol.

But the responses I got were all good for the wavepoints from other mostly. Do a search on here for wavepoint and see what the threads say. I also found them for $15 each online which is like $6 off each bulb, and I had 12 so it was a real good way to save money. Luckily I found the ATI blues for $15 on sale at marine depot and the rest I got from bulk reef supply whihc ended up being free after i won their contest.

In my opinion they are a viable alternative to hi priced bulbs. But in your case the price difference wouldnt really be that that much. Instead of $90 you will spend $120 on the ATI's. is it that tight that $30 will break ya? You could also save up the $30 in a couple weeks.

Just tossing ideas. I love my ATI's. can ya tell? lol

Ya but when you add in the shipping it is more like $50.00 or more. That is my Diamond Goby. LOL Normally, that wouldn't kill me but with all the other expenses in getting this set up I am going to be tight for a bit. You know how it is, youngest daughter going into the first year of high school means and ENTIRE new wardrobe, etc. LOL

Aquacvave has 4.95 shipping on their ati bulbs. :) Plus they price match if you find them cheaper elsewhere.

i never checked the PAR on wavepoint lamps, but i do know that ATI and giesemann lamps are known to have the highest PAR and best color in the industry.
if it was me, i would cut no corners on lighting or filtration.

LOL, I think I got a similar answer from him in one of my threads.

I just went with the tried and true. :)

After all you have to live with these bulbs for almost a year so you do want the best ones.

If you really search maybe you can find the ATI's a bit cheaper. I got my blue plus' for $15 each on sale at marine depot which was huge!

Thanks X. Wish I could find the post again on the other forum. He had some pretty good data on them.

That is odd. I don't see anything by the grim reefer in that thread. Thebanker was one who was in the thread I found on the same site. About halfway through the thread he ended up buying a set and posted that he loved them. The par measurements the originator gave looked pretty good to me. Started out around 650 new compared to 450 for 3 mth old ATI. At 6 mths, he compared again and they were somewhere around the 450 mark which is where the ATI were after 4 mths. I think he was checking the 24" lamp so I don't know how that would hold up on a 48.

Got to run out to some job sites and deliver checks but I am anxious to discuss this more. Sure wish I could find the thread I was looking at. I think you would have been interested in reading it.

hmm. i'll buy a few and check them with a PAR meter then. unfortunately, i am not going to be doing that until i get water in my tank.

I was literally just about to post that -_- found if before I looked at this page.

Numbers seem alright with the par. Some people even say it looks better than the ATI blue plus.

As far as the colors go, they seem to be fairly similar except on the peaking with green on the 12k from wavepoint, and the ATI Aquablue Special. So we can safely say that the 12k is a bit warmer than the ATI equivalent.

As far as PAR goes, the numbers on that thread seem alright, but they were just random tests with no real baseline so to speak, so we really do not know how accurate they are.

I would honestly stay safe with the ATI bulbs, then again I have never tried the Wavepoints.

LampMain2.jpg

ATI Blue Plus
ATI_Blue_Plus.png

ATI Aqua Blue Special
ATI_T5_Aquablue_Spectrum.jpg

ATI Pro Color
ati_procolor.jpg

Thanks Bry. For me at this point in time, it all boils down to the cash. LOL While I know from all the input from you, X and Carey I would be safe with the ATI, I can get my hands on what I need for about $50 less. On top of that, I am supporting a LFS that is near by and trusted on the Atlanta Reef forum. I would rather help keep her doors open than support a mega on-line retailer if I can do so without hurting myself too much. Besides, I only have 4 small frags at this point and will be adding very slowly over the next 6-8 months. These will just have to due for now.

If I knew a bit more about it, I would be happy to report back what I find out once they are up and running but I don't think I would be a lot of good to all of you in your evaluations. Best I could do is post pics. :)

I really do appreciate the help you guys give. Makes this "Sport" that much more enjoyable.

Well, I'm no Mr X but I was going to put the wavepoints in my 12 bulb fixture until I found a sale on ATI. :) The wavepoints kinda confused me though, most sites have them listed as 33 inch bulbs when I wanted 36 inch bulbs. The wattage was the same though so I didn't know what to make of it. That reason alone was enough to derail me and what kept me from upgrading the bulbs months earlier. I just couldnt' get the straight facts. If you have those bulbs in front of you can you measure them?

That would be a favor for me as well,as if I need new bulbs again I might just go to wave point. They get decent reviews too, I spent weeks researching them. lol

a 33" lamp is a 36"

T5s are metric dimensions so they aren't in inches they are a length in millimeters

lol no problem man. At some point give then a shot, for now like you said, it isn't too inportant. Some bulbs can go a long way, then you get other bulbs and you're like wow. ;)

I think I am going down to Atl, any stores you recommend?

Back
Top Bottom