wavemakers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdergar

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been doing a little research on making waves in my tank. It seems that there are quite a few options. The two I was looking at were either the Hydor WaveMaker or the Ecomarine Vortech series. Two different ends of the scale I guess. Does anyone use either of these units? How does making waves affect the tank's structure/integrity? Does it put stress on the glass joints? Is it more prone to fail?

With the vortech do people get more than one head? I've seen videos where there are waves made with only one head.

Thanks...Steve

Yes, a wave maker will put more stress on the tank and yes, it makes the tank more prone to failure. However, a properly made aquarium is designed with a significant factor of safety built in and should be able to handle these added stresses with no problem. If you have a large tank on a poorly made stand that puts stress and torsion on the glass, the wave maker might be the straw that breaks the camel's back, but it shouldn't affect an aquarium that's level.

I use the SCWD. Switching Current Water Device. This thing is AWESOME! No electricty and awesome wave movement and not expensive. Use a pump, some hose and or pvc pipe and instant waves

Totally Agree with waynotcars, about the SCWD. Its about $40 and all you have to do is attached to your current water pump.

Back
Top Bottom