Wavemakers and water flow for a reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikki_kaiser

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm almost ready to begin my reef adventure however in my final stage, I am needing advice on water flow. I'm wanting a realistic (or as close as I can get to realistic) water flow for a reef. I've read conflicting reviews regarding wave makers so I'm curious as to what everyone has. This is for a smaller reef tank. It's 55 gallons with dimensions are 48x13x20. Thank you!!! =)

Convict2161 said:
Mp10 or an Mp40 depending on the size of the tank or 2 Mp10's.

There awesome and I love mine! It moves the whole body of water. It has many settings to mimic nature.

Reef crest mode
Lagoon mode
Short burst mode etc etc

http://ecotechmarine.com/products/vortech/vortech-mp10/

I have 1 Mp10 on my bio cube 29 and love it.

Oops sorry, I quoted myself lol.

To mimic natural behavior you'd want laminar flow and random flow. So one always on maybe and some other ones that either point in different directions (rotating heads) or come on in intervals (timer/wavemaker).

The mp10's are nice. Really pricey though! I believe koralia has a wavemaker for koralia pumps. And then there are controllers that can alternate power supply and currents to pumps as well.

I have the koralia ph and smartwave timer. Works good. I sure would like to upgrade at some point to the mps tho after seeing Convicts' BC video lol. But for the price the Hydor Koralia setup i would recommend.

Convict2161 said:
Here it is :)

The Mp10 is set on lagoon mode at 60%.

<<----HAS TONS OF QUESTIONS FOR YOU!! LOL! WOOOOOW! The entire tank is absolutely freakin awesome! I love the water flow too! How did you stack your live rock and how do you keep stuff from getting behind it? (and the questions begin! LOL!)

nikki_kaiser said:
<<----HAS TONS OF QUESTIONS FOR YOU!! LOL! WOOOOOW! The entire tank is absolutely freakin awesome! I love the water flow too! How did you stack your live rock and how do you keep stuff from getting behind it? (and the questions begin! LOL!)

Well thank you!! :)

The Mp10 believe it or not gets flow everywhere, behind the rocks and under the rocks. It moves the whole body of water. It really is an amazing piece of equipment.

The rock scaping took some time. I stacked the back wall and glued it. Then stacked the front portion of it. I wanted to give the tank depth and the illusion of being bigger by bringing one side closer to the glass then slowly bringing the rock work back towards the back wall.

I had a few avalanches before getting it right.

There's over 30 pounds of live rock and 25 pounds of live sand.

Whhhhhheeeeew your MP 10's are expensive! LOL! I suppose I should of expected it after seeing what they could do in your tank coupled with everything else in this hobby costing a lot! LOL! I'm still amazed at how beautiful your set up is! I was planning on getting some base rock and drilling it to put PVC in the middle to create something similar but now I have saved your video and want to copy you if you dont mind (im so unoriginal! LOL!) What kind of rock did you use??

I'm planning on getting an BTA after my switchover and a few starter corals. What's easy and beautiful? I've kept anemone but I need something I can't kill easily as far as coral to build my confidence. I'm scurd!

nikki_kaiser said:
Whhhhhheeeeew your MP 10's are expensive! LOL! I suppose I should of expected it after seeing what they could do in your tank coupled with everything else in this hobby costing a lot! LOL! I'm still amazed at how beautiful your set up is! I was planning on getting some base rock and drilling it to put PVC in the middle to create something similar but now I have saved your video and want to copy you if you dont mind (im so unoriginal! LOL!) What kind of rock did you use??

I'm planning on getting an BTA after my switchover and a few starter corals. What's easy and beautiful? I've kept anemone but I need something I can't kill easily as far as coral to build my confidence. I'm scurd!

Well I still consider myself a newbie lol. My tank is a little over 9 months old.

For live rock, I got it from my buddy who owns a fish shop. It's cured live rock (Fiji)

And of course I don't mind! ;) it's a compliment!! Thank you for all the kind words.

As for corals. Under my lighting(AI SOL BLUE) I've good great success with duncans,montis,open brains, all my leathers, mushrooms all kinds, ricordias are just thriving like crazy. Oh and one of my montis is just growing very nicely over this one rock and starting to late outwards.

I didn't have luck with a clam and acroporas. I also lost the sponges too.

So the ones I mentioned in the beginning I'd say ate good hardy corals. I've had most since I started and they made it through a few mistakes lol so I'd bank on those.

Oh and my pulsing xena is doing well also and my zoas are just taking off.

Sorry for the dragged out post.

So I'd say this:

Zoas
Mushrooms(all colors and hairy mushrooms too)
Ricordias (just be careful they can sting other corals)
Duncan
Open brain coral
Leathers (like cabbage or finger)

I think those are good choices and can bring some nice color to the tank. If you have the lighting which I think you do since you've had a nem and want another you can do montis and chalice, google both of those and check out the colors on those bad boys.

Thank you!!! I had the nems a while back but had to get rid of them when I moved. They did well under T5's but I just bought some kessils so hoping to get good results from those. How many corals can you add to your tank at once? Is it like fish? I'm new in the coral arena.

nikki_kaiser said:
Thank you!!! I had the nems a while back but had to get rid of them when I moved. They did well under T5's but I just bought some kessils so hoping to get good results from those. How many corals can you add to your tank at once? Is it like fish? I'm new in the coral arena.

What I did, and again this is just me. I went ahead and bought anything and everything I liked. At one point I'd come home with 6-7 corals. I drip them and then place them where I want them.

What I do though is look at my tank and take a picture. I get an idea of what type of look I want in a specific area then I see how the flow and water is for that spot. I then see what corals can go there and if they are what I'm looking for then I buy.

I'm very particular about where I place the coral and how so I need to make sure it's a coral that will thrive in the location planned.

Sure I've moved a few around here and there but I try not to touch my corals after placement.

This is just how I do things. Sounds a little nuts maybe lol but I'm very anal about my tanks.

I've even gone to my computer with a picture of m tank and places corals in areas to see why they would look like. I'd google images and then try and place them into the picture the best I could just to get an idea.

I believe in a game plan or pre plan before starting. You have to account for so many factors. Flow,light, coral growth etc... Get all that info and go coral shopping!!

You can add multiple corals IMHO.

Convict2161 said:
Here it is :)

The Mp10 is set on lagoon mode at 60%.

Beautiful set up convict !!! I've got a mp40 on my 135 and I can see getting another one down the road sometime.

So I have a 55 gallon tank. I only need one??? Also, I am going to talk to my LFS to see what he can get it at. He's always alot cheaper than even eBay however, what comes in second place because that's pretty expensive.

nikki_kaiser said:
So I have a 55 gallon tank. I only need one??? Also, I am going to talk to my LFS to see what he can get it at. He's always alot cheaper than even eBay however, what comes in second place because that's pretty expensive.

You can use one, but 2 controlled to alternate? NOW YOUR TALKING!! lol. YouTube it. It's crazy!!

Convict2161 said:
You can use one, but 2 controlled to alternate? NOW YOUR TALKING!! lol. YouTube it. It's crazy!!

LOL! That sounds awesome! Now I just need to find somewhere or someone to steal them from!!! :D. Haha!

Back
Top Bottom