Way to go, Aquaclear!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rokuzachi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So after ages of dedicated service from the brand, I had a major problem on my hands tonight.

The filter destined for transfer into my newest tank to help the cycling process stopped. I happened to walk by and check on things before getting ready for bed, and good thing I did. The filter had completely stopped!

I checked the power. Then I checked the motor. Very, very hot. I feel like I'm lucky the **** thing didn't catch on fire. A good portion of the media in the box had dried out too, unfortunately. After fiddling with it... I got it to work again.

The problem? Somehow, and I have no idea how, during its normal operation, the impeller rose to the top of the shaft and had gotten stuck there and wasn't spinning. In the end all I had to do was re-seat it, but I'm still probably out a lot of seeded media because of this. Hope it doesn't do it again while I'm asleep.

Why you gotta be like that, Aquaclear? :(

One of mine did that after I first got it (used). It was already a couple years old and apparently the guy who had it never cleaned it out. I scrubbed the impeller and the motor out with a brush and it never did it again. Something you may want to do just to be on the safe side.

I've got one AquaClear that sometimes doesn't start after a PWC. I just have to poke the impeller with a filter brush to get it going.

I've got one AquaClear that sometimes doesn't start after a PWC. I just have to poke the impeller with a filter brush to get it going.

Same here. My Aquaclear20 has done that a few times. I do the same as BigJim to get it started again.

Along with cleaning the impeller (and the impeller well) you should also check the impeller and shaft for wear. Hold the impeller up to the light and see if the hole is round and uniformly sized for the shaft. If you can't get a good look down the length of the shaft pull it out with a pair of pliers. IME the shafts seem to wear down quicker than the impellers, and it's the first thing I check on a used filter.

Back
Top Bottom