Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-07-2011, 08:12 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Way to go, Aquaclear!

So after ages of dedicated service from the brand, I had a major problem on my hands tonight.

The filter destined for transfer into my newest tank to help the cycling process stopped. I happened to walk by and check on things before getting ready for bed, and good thing I did. The filter had completely stopped!

I checked the power. Then I checked the motor. Very, very hot. I feel like I'm lucky the **** thing didn't catch on fire. A good portion of the media in the box had dried out too, unfortunately. After fiddling with it... I got it to work again.

The problem? Somehow, and I have no idea how, during its normal operation, the impeller rose to the top of the shaft and had gotten stuck there and wasn't spinning. In the end all I had to do was re-seat it, but I'm still probably out a lot of seeded media because of this. Hope it doesn't do it again while I'm asleep.

Why you gotta be like that, Aquaclear?

Old 04-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

One of mine did that after I first got it (used). It was already a couple years old and apparently the guy who had it never cleaned it out. I scrubbed the impeller and the motor out with a brush and it never did it again. Something you may want to do just to be on the safe side.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:49 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've got one AquaClear that sometimes doesn't start after a PWC. I just have to poke the impeller with a filter brush to get it going.
Feel free to PM me directly with questions.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
I've got one AquaClear that sometimes doesn't start after a PWC. I just have to poke the impeller with a filter brush to get it going.
Same here. My Aquaclear20 has done that a few times. I do the same as BigJim to get it started again.
Durvish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:06 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Along with cleaning the impeller (and the impeller well) you should also check the impeller and shaft for wear. Hold the impeller up to the light and see if the hole is round and uniformly sized for the shaft. If you can't get a good look down the length of the shaft pull it out with a pair of pliers. IME the shafts seem to wear down quicker than the impellers, and it's the first thing I check on a used filter.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:15 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have an ac30. Ive never had this problem.
maxwellag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:21 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Word to the wise, always inspect pumps routinely for corrosion, internal parts cleanliness, debris, etc. No pump stays minty fresh forever
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:29 AM   #8
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

^I think Kurt can attest to that... great advice

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquaclear, clear

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com