Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-17-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

WCs - Dechlorinate before or after?

Okay, so I am thinking about buying a python (not the snake). I am trying to unlearn my old school ways. So, I am willing to get one of these new fangled water changing things but seriously, I have real issues de-chlorinating H2O after filling an established tank rather than before. I am a bucket brigader from way back. So, convince me that adding untreated water to an established tank and then dosing it is just as safe as having a few buckets of aged and treated water ready for a water change. Isn't there some significant risk to just dumping tap water into your tank before it is treated? I admit that it is very difficult to store enough water for regular water changes when you have may tanks. Am being over cautious?

29g SA biotope - many SA inhabitants
MartyMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMA
Okay, so I am thinking about buying a python (not the snake). I am trying to unlearn my old school ways. So, I am willing to get one of these new fangled water changing things but seriously, I have real issues de-chlorinating H2O after filling an established tank rather than before. I am a bucket brigader from way back. So, convince me that adding untreated water to an established tank and then dosing it is just as safe as having a few buckets of aged and treated water ready for a water change. Isn't there some significant risk to just dumping tap water into your tank before it is treated? I admit that it is very difficult to store enough water for regular water changes when you have may tanks. Am being over cautious?

In turn off my filters, add prime to the tank(you want to dose the full tank amount of de-chlorinator, as opposed to just treating the amount your adding)temp match and fill the tank. Turning the filter off gives the water a bit of time to dechlorinate before running through the filters since de chlorinator will kill the good bacteria.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I pretty much do the same. I drain my tank until its just above the intakes. Then I shut everything down.

Oops I left out a part.

When adding the water back into my tank I dose for the entire tank as I'm filling it back up. I try and to match the water as best I can.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

dido..I just turn filters and heater off, drain my 50% while cleaning subtrate, add Prime de-chlorinator for the full size of my tank, re-fill, turn heater and filters back on....no issues ever...as a matter of fact once I am done it seems like my inhabitants begin to all spawn.....lol....
Old 01-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks to all for the reassurance. Maybe I will try it.
29g SA biotope - many SA inhabitants
MartyMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

This is the way I look at it, right or wrong it works for me

I add Prime as soon as I'm done draining the tank, then begin the refill process straight from the tap.

The ingredients in Prime that neutralize chlorine and chloramines remain there until they have something to act on. The incoming water is treated as its being added to the tank.

I usually dose for the amount of water I'm changing, never the full tank dose. In the 15 or so years I've been keeping fish of one type or another, I've never had problems. Everything from rare cichlids to Electric Blue rams and even Discus.

The water here in the DFW area is loaded with chemicals too. But I can't say enough good things about Prime. Well worth it.

Only during times where I'm doing 50% or less would I do it this way. For anything over that, pretreated is the way to go.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com