Weight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melosu58

SW REEF 20+ YEARS
To all you structual folks out there. If you view my tanks you`ll see that I already have a 125 reef tank that is pretty full. I also have a 40 gallon refuge under that tank. I`m figuring I have about 3/4 ton sitting there. I`m sure the floor will hold that but I`m just thinking about upgrading to a 210. Is there any possibility that my flooring structure will hold that much weight? The tank is on the first floor but it`s not on the ground either. About 4 feet off the ground. Any yea or nay recomendations.

What is underneath the floor where the tank is? A basement or crawl space? Is there a concrete slab down there somewhere? It definitely would be possible to beef up the floor from below to support a tank that size, especially if there is some concrete to anchor the supports on. The floor joists would have to be strengthened and supported from underneath. For a tank that size (and cost) I'd definitely have a local contractor take a look at it and draw you up some plans and give you an estimate....it shouldn't be too difficult to do but that's something that I would want serious piece of mind before I tangled with that much weight!

Depending on how high in the air the joists are that may not be too big of a project for you...... I would def look into letting a contractor take a look at it and give you suggestions!

One of the many reef websites had this exact thing discussed in a pretty extensive article. Its not in my bookmarks, but I'll look around and hopefully I'll find it.

For anyone that might remember the article and has it bookmarked, it goes into detail about all sorts of ways to reinforce your flooring and what you need to tkae into account when figuring how much weight your floor can handle.

Found one: ( I lied, it was a cichlid site)

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/aquarium_weight.php

A 220...I am jealous. As you know, I was tank shopping today and the LFS had an AGA 220 with dual overflows, black pine stand and two megaflow plumbing kits for $999! If I had the space...

Thanks for all the advice folks. Thanks for the link finatic. Newfound it is a crawlspace and no concrete slab under it. I will check into what ya`ll have suggested. Again thanks

I`m going to move this to General hardware and equipment discussion to see if any freshies have any advice.

Back
Top Bottom