Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-02-2011, 11:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Wet/dry

Hello,

I have had my tank for 14 months so far and im fed up with my cannister filter. I really want a wet/dry system for my tank but im not to sure which one is right. I have a 125 g saltwater. Im looking for the best one thats good for my tank

Old 10-03-2011, 12:52 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Don't go with wet/ dry. Instead go with a fuge full of macro algae a deep sand bed and live rock, also I would add a phosphate reactor with the return line plumbed to a algae turf scrubber. This is what I have set up and I must say it is doing an amazing job. A fuge in my opinion is a way better filtration system then a wet dry filter.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Do you know much about sumps?
Old 10-03-2011, 10:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes what questions do you have about them? I did around 4-6 months of research on them when I started up my tank.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Like i don't know where to begin. The set up. Do I build it myself? I'm just not understand the process of starting it do I need live rock?live sand? Do I keep my old filter running until this one gets established? Please any information don't be afraid it will be much appreciated
Old 10-04-2011, 12:08 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A sump is nothing more then a extra tank below the main tank that is plumbed via an overflow. A sump is a place for storage , such as a protein skimmer heater reactors and such. A fuge is a section of a sump that has a deep sand bed, live rock and macro algae to get rid of excess nutrient. The best design I have come up with so far is such. Inlet: where the water enters the sump and goes into a mechanical filtration such as filter sponge or filter sock. Next into your protein skimmer and phosphate reactor. The following section is the fuge consists of a deep sand bed live rock rubble and macro algae, and a algae turf scrubber( you can plumb the return line of the protein skimmer or phosphate reactor to the algae turf scrubber) then the final section is where the water return into the tank.look on YouTube for different sump designs. A good sump would be a 20long 40breeder or a rubber maid container. Rule of thumb is get the biggest sump you can fit under the stand. My stand will not hold a sump so I have mine sitting next to it on the ground. I plan on building a new stand.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

So I can have the sump and part of the sump is designated to sand live rock and macro algae correct?

Tags
dry, wet, wet/dry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com