wet/dry and reef system?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hammerhead911

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 65 gallon FOWLR. I have a wet/dry with protein skimmer. I know that most people don't like the wet/drys for the high amounts of nitrates. Is there a coral that can tolerate the high nitrates produced from the wet/dry?

well yes and no, basicly there isn't anything can do well under high nitrate not even fish. however, i do belive wet/dry doesn't produce that much nitrate and u always have other choice to lower ur nitrate in the tank.
i would say the simple way is more often water change, sometimes even nitrate sponge will work.

I really don't know where this wet/dry and high nitrate thing comes from. I have been using a wet/dry with bioballs in my reef tank for about 15 years and never had a problem with nitrates. Proper maintanence and regular water chages will keep your nitrates low if not undectable.
If you have high nitrates, don't jump to the conclusion that a wet/dry is the cause. Look into other factors such as poor maintanence and/or over feeding.

There are several things you can do to reduce NO3 in your system, even while using a wet/dry. Proper stocking levels, appropriate feedings and regular PWC will help you reduce your NO3. I have a wet/dry that I have sort of converted. It is a Pro Clear 150 sump. I removed the Bioballs from the middle chamber as well as the tray they sat on. I filled with middle chamber with about 30# of LR rubble and I keep it fully submerged. My NO3 is steady at about 2ppm. Another good trick is to turn off the wet/dry while you are feeding so the food does ot get sucked into the filter, this is your biggest source of NO3. Bottom line is that you should be able to manage your NO3 even with a wet/dry.

Deep sand bed, proper stocking, less feedings, plenty of live rock. I would go filterless except for the use of a good skimmer(which is a type of filter)

This is the philosophy I have used so far and I really like it. I think it is relatively fail proof if you just put do you part with water changes and proper cleaning/maint.

Many people use a type of mechanical filter along with skimming. I did so myself until it took out the foam pad in my hagen and loaded it with rubble. It is ultimately up to you, I am just voicing my opinion.

Lando does the LR need to be completely submerged. I`m getting ready to change my refuge from bio balls to LR.

There probably is but if you do what the other guys say you should be OK. Reread Lando`s post and dragons post

So are there some good starter corals that can tolerate more nitrates than others?
"Tolerate" is very subjective. I think you are putting the cart before the horse. Take care of the NO3 issues before you start adding corals. They will love you for it. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom