Wet/Dry filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andy_b22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone. I am in the market for a Wet/Dry filter and I am wondering if I could get some suggestions from some people that have had some experience with them. As of right now I am going to just have a FOWLR but will eventually like to get into some coral and things of that nature. I already have a turboflotor 1000 protein skimmer and want to be able to put it on the filter itself and have the output of the skimmer go back over the biological filter media which I am just going to put some rubble in place of those bioballs. As I would assume then that the area that I am putting the rubble in need to be complete filled with water so that the rubble is submerged. Oh and I have a 55 gallon tank...

All suggestions are welcomed

TIA

Last edited:
Alright maybe I am asking the wrong question as a whole. Here is my situation...A few years ago I had a 55 gallon FOWLR tank and because of a certain situation had to take down the tank. Since then I have sold pretty much everything but my tank and stand. Now, just recently I have decided to get back into SW. I plan on starting just a FOWLR but as I have stated before want to add a few coral as things get stable and I am ready. So, to save money in the long run I want to be able to add coral without changing any equipment. I have done a little research and have decided to go with a wet/dry filter but if you feel I should go another route suggest it. Maybe someone with the same set-up (55 gallon tank) can tell me what equipment they are running including the overflow, wet/dry, and pumps…

consider building your own sump? that's basically what your talking about is converting a wet/dry into a sump with LR instead of BB's. If you're even the least bit handy, mucho bucks can be saved by building ur own from an old tank (easily found).

New Sump Design

If you just starting out, a wet/dry isn't what you want, go the sump route, but, if you already have the wet/dry then by all means use it. i have been in saltwater for 10 years and had used the wet/dry i purchased back then since. and by the way/ i have been reef for the last 5 years with no nitrate problems or build up

Hey everyone. I am in the market for a Wet/Dry filter and I am wondering if I could get some suggestions from some people that have had some experience with them. As of right now I am going to just have a FOWLR but will eventually like to get into some coral and things of that nature. I already have a turboflotor 1000 protein skimmer and want to be able to put it on the filter itself and have the output of the skimmer go back over the biological filter media which I am just going to put some rubble in place of those bioballs. As I would assume then that the area that I am putting the rubble in need to be complete filled with water so that the rubble is submerged. Oh and I have a 55 gallon tank...

All suggestions are welcomed

TIA

Personally, I would say if you want a wet and dry filter. I'd say build your own trickle filter. As the ones on the market are quite expensive and don't offer much dry surface area in there filters. Unless you buy a ready made acrylic of the sheld trickle filter. Which are very expensive. And much cheaper to build your own

Back
Top Bottom