wet dry filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

titoav15

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a wet/dry and have had no problems with high nitrates. the tank has only been SW for about a year. Maybe I'm just lucky or it will be something I'll have to deal with in the future.

Which ever you chose I would ditch the bio-balls if you are going lthe route of a reef tank. They are hard to keep clean and become a nitrate factory in short order. If you can afford it get the bigger of the two.

so what do i put in the filter then? Which would you go with in this case?

any other options? I have a fluval 404 now and if thats all I need then ill keep it.

a fluval 404 with just ceramic rings, no sponges would be fine. thats what a couple of guys around here use and what i plan to use when i finally decide to set one up

Sorry to hijack, but would a wet/dry (with it's high nitrates issue) be suitable for a low tech planted tank? Gas exchange would be an issue with CO2 injection, but if that's not planned, could it be beneficial?

My Hooded 42G has a wet/dry trickle system with ceramic rings. For added DOC removal I have added a Hang on Back protein skimmer. Nitrates aren't a real problem - they are usually 20 ppm when I do PWC's.

If the wet dry is for a new tank, then leave the bio balls in. you can always remove them slowly over time once your reef has stablized in 6 months or so.personally i have run a wet dry for 10+ years and never had a nitrate buildup. keeping them clean by using filter pads and water changes.

I've had a wet/dry filter for about 8 years now and never had any problems. I would also ditch the bio-balls becasue I've heard that they can increase the nitrates. I put some cheato in mine to help with phosphates and nitrates. I've heard you can also use rubble rock to add to the bio filter part of the process.

Any recommendations on a what kind of or brand sump I should use? Or should I make it myslef? Also what should my sump have? I want to add my protien skimmer in there, a filter sock, anything else?

I like quiet one pumps, because they are quiet. If you are going the sump route, buy yourself a used tank that will fit in the stand you are using. its a great place for protein skimmers, heaters, carbon. there are lots of diy plans out there

Back
Top Bottom