wet dry filter not good enough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bawla47

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ive been reading some threads, and some people say a wet dry filter isnt good, better off goin with a refugium.

do you think i will be alright?

the bio area of the filter is 3.3 gallons and the sump area is 15.3

at the end, i plan on having a dozen or so soft corals, 2-3 fish about 3-4" max. cleanup crew. and 60-70 lbs live rock..

in a 55 gallon tank.

Im goin to get a remora skimmer.

theres a wet dry on ebay now, that i really want to get. but now im having second thoughts. Will my nitrate levels be ok? Could i just buy some nitrate aborbing product and throw it in the sump and be alright?

what kind of mods can i do to the wet dry maybe?
use dif substrates?

Please help me!
thanks

Jay D

I'm a newbie to salt also, but from what I can find, you would want to ditch the biomedia and use live sand and rock in the sump. :D

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
Wet drys are just fine. They can cause nitrate to climb if the tank is over-stocked and over fed. The sure-fire way to know if your wet/dry is working okay is to turn to your water parameters. If your water is good, your filtration is just fine. It is a good idea to remove the bioballs and replace them with LR rubble over time, it is a far better biofiltration media then the bioballs. I have a pic of my wet/dry in my gallery with LR rubble in it if you care to look. Good luck...Lando

hey lando, thats my plan now. I hope it works well, seems like it is for others. Thanks for the warm welcome, im glad to be part of tthe site., i like this one better then the others im subscribed to, most likely linger around here ALOT more. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom