Wet/Dry flow Q

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluoval1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 125 that I have had running for about 6 years now. My canister is doing a good job but I was given a Wet/Dry from a saltwater tank. I know to clean it up REAL good first. I was wondering how I ensure my pump will not suck the sump at the bottom of the wet/dry filter dry while at the same time ensuring I get a pump that will flow enough GPH for my tank?

You'll need an overflow or bulkhead on the 125. Water drains as quickly as its pumped up. Sump's purpose is to increase water volume so you want lots of water down there. Extra bonus here is now you can do pwc at the sump, and the main tanks water level always stays the same - many sumpers set the level right above the trim of their main tank for this reason. Just dont forget to leave enough room in the sump for reverse siphon should you lose power. Best way to figure this out is to test once you get the drain in.

** Nice post from RLG2182 http://aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=52955

Can you recommend a pump? Will I need to get a pump around 600 gph and is adjustable? I ask because it seems I don't want a pump that will empty the sump faster than it will fill up.

mattrox is right. There's also nothing wrong with multiple pumps and/or redundant overflows to reach target GPH while maintaining peace of mind.
Can you recommend a pump?
I have MagDrive envy, fwiw, but thats only based on their reputation and rated numbers. I am not happy with my current Rio. Check out the review section of this site under Water Circulation -> pumps :)

I have also been considering a sump for both my tanks. But I am confused as to the intake location. Most people agree that on a power filter, the intake needs to be between 2 and 4 inches above the substrate (depending on substrate). This is to suck up the nasties as they fall to the bottom. But with a sump, the intake is at the surface nowhere near the falling nasties. So, my Q's

Would it be more efficient to use multiple overflows so that the intakes could be separated at opposite ends of the tank helping to pull water from as much area as possible?

and

What do you sumpers do to keep things going to the filter before they settle on the substrate?

So if I understand the whole wet/dry filter slash sump thing.... The overflow only works so long as the pump is "pumping" the water back into the tank. The water pump "pumps the water" into the overflow. Does that sound right?

Yes. But the pump does not pump water into the overflow exactly. It pumps the water back into the aquarium and the overflow pulls from the aquarium surface somewhere. The pump pulls water from the sump forcing the water level in the tank to rise. The overflow will maintain a siphon to the sump as long as the water level is above the overfow intake. If the pump stops and shuts off the water supply to the tank, then the overflow will cut off the water supply to the sump by breaking the siphon when the tank water level drops below the overflow intake level.

Don't forget you have to maintain siphon in the overflow itself to prevent main tank flooding once return pump is turned on. Chuck Gadd has a nice explanation: http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/overflow.htm

mentallylost,

Just thoughts, but hopefully someone with a much bigger tank than mine answers. I can see the appeal of overflows on opposite sides of the main tank, with the retun line from the sump in the middle, but don't think it will be any more effective than overflow on one side, return on the other, and powerheads in potentially dead spots to keep stuff suspended and headed towards the sump flow. Return line near the bottom of the tank would not only help with lower head height, but should be more effective kicking falling bits up than a power filter is sucking, since you're probably aiming for >600gph from the sump for your 125g.

But to answer what I do, I have 17.5x turnover in my main tank from the sump alone, and before adding a Durso standpipe on the bulkhead, had to turn off the return pump to keep flake from going in the drain. I happen to have a planted ground cover so don't take as much care with stuff on the substrate as, say, aquarists with sand and no plants. I just graze my substrate with a gravel vac every now and then. Most all the bad stuff ends up in the sump on its own.

HTH

With the return line near the bottom of the tank wouldn't that create a reverse siphon and flood/overflow the sump in the event of a power failure? What do you think about the idea of under gravel jets to keep uneaten food and waste suspended? I have read about them before, and have given them quite a bit of thought. But I havn't actually spoken to someone who has used them.

Return requires siphon break holes just below the intended water line -- its easy to get it so only a little water reverse siphons at power out. Ive found redundant holes a requirement. I like the undergravel jets concept, and for a bit considered incorporating it into a below substrate tunnel system for loaches. I never did it though.

czcz, thanks a lot. I really appreciate it. I have been considering doing this for quite sometime now. I want to do it all DIY, and this has given me some new things to think about. Pretty sure that I am going to do it. But your comments helped me to understand it.

- Kudos sent

Back
Top Bottom