Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-01-2011, 12:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Wet/dry or cannister for 55g fresh?

Looking to get a new filter and not sure which way to go. There are advantages to both I'm told. What I really want is a filter that can keep on it's own for two weeks because for work I'm gone that long frequently. I'm leaning toward a wet/dry system but what happens when the power goes out/on? I'm told cannisters just come back on with no problem, is this the same with wet/dry? Also with the stand I have I'm somewhat limited on space. 24 long x 11 wide x 19 high...all the space I have to work with. Two sides but one side has plugs, food and equiptment so can't use it for filter.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I can not speak on wet/dry filters because i have never used them. However I do use a canister filter and am very impressed with its performance and would highly recommend them. A canister will do everything you want form what you have posted.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:12 PM   #3

I've been reading the forums and it seems that some people think cannister filters get a little disgusting when not cleaned on a regular basis. I don't plan on neglecting anything but wondering how bad do they get? Will wet/dry get as bad?
Old 02-01-2011, 02:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would really recommend a canister for a freshwater aquarium. I started with a wet/dry with bioballs and had a lot of problems with getting nutrients and with the nitrates. Ever since going to a canister I've been very happy. Not only that but it was much quieter as well.

I've never had a problem with my canister filter getting disgusting or anything. I would clean it out ever 2-4 weeks.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you have a properly sized filter, two weeks between cleanings should not be an issue. A wet-dry or sump filter will have no problems with power outages if it's designed correctly. The trick is to leave enough room in the sump to handle the water from the display tank until it stops overflowing.

Considering your space limitations, go with the canister.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:36 PM   #6

Thanks for the input. I found a wet/dry that will fit pretty well, leave 4 inches on the long side and 2 inches on top, side doesn't matter much, open in the back. From what alot of people have told me, sellers, as long as I have enough room to get to the filter pad thats all that matters. I guess what I said about size isn't as important as how well the filter will work. Wet/dry filters are alot more expensive, so I just assumed they were better. Money doesn't matter as long as I get it right the first time.

Please show your support for this site, vote...Click here
kirbster23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:53 PM   #7

Got another question. Looked up a couple things and was wondering if these two items would be good for my tank.
3 STAGE EXTERNAL CANISTER AQUARIUM FILTER w/ 9 WATT UV - eBay (item 290474163600 end time Feb-07-11 11:51:12 PST)

Maxi-Jet 1200 Power Head, 295gph by Aquarium Systems - AquaCave

Just trying to get some comments because before today I was going to go with a wet/dry system.
Please help, TY

Please show your support for this site, vote...Click here
kirbster23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:21 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The only reason I got a wet/dry filter for my FW tank is because I wanted to eventually get a SW tank, and this converts very easily. If you have the tank in a bedroom, the water trickle sounds good, when you're awake. It is very loud at night when you're trying to sleep (think heavy rain).

The W/D filter worked great with my 55gallon SW and is working just as nice with my SW. If you don't plan at all on getting a SW tank in the future, or if it's going to be in a bedroom, go with the canister.

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
55 gallon, cannister, dry, fresh, wet, wet/dry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com