wet/ dry or hang on back filter.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reef_Tank_70_Jax

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
After realising i am not ready for salt water tank i decided to turn to freshwater with plants. However not sure what type of filter to use. I was looking at marineland emperor pro series (400) two of them for my 75 gallon. But read somewhere about people using wet dry filtration instead help?

For HOB's.. I'd look at the Fluval C4. It has a wet/dry compartment for the bio. Otherwise, my second choice would be Aqua Clears... both of these HOBs are made by Hagen. Both are also easy to customize with media.

No sorry... Canisters are my first choice for planted tanks. I love the Fluval 406. I previously recommended an HOB type due to you thinking of a marineland emperor bio wheel - which I'm not too keen on.

You should probably re-ask this question pertaining to sumps in a planted tank application in the planted tank sub-forum. Aqua_Chem and Rivercats would be best to chime in on that. But if it boils down to HOB's, get 2x Fluval C4. Or if you decide canister, a Fluval 406 would be nice with a Hydor powerhead on one end to help with circulation.

With the power heads should i do 2 on a timer. Also how well are the hidden led lights from marineland for a planted tank. They state they are 6500 kelvins

I wouldn't put the power heads on a timer. You can probably do one or two hydor Koralia nano 240's.

The lighting.. those hidden ones aren't that good. What plants are you thinking of growing? You need to decide if you want to grow low light, medium, or high light. You'll also need to determine if you go medium or high, you'll need to get a pressurized co2 system.

Finnex LED fixtures are a great value. Finnex FugeRay for low light plants. Finnex Ray 2 for moderate light. Research those. Or Current Satellite LED+ fixtures.. You'll need 1 for low light, 2 for medium. The Current lights are neat because you can control the color output plus it has modes for like storm, lightning, moonlights, etc.

I am not able to help you with any pump recommendations, but a wet/dry sump is a bad idea with a planted tank because if you ever plan to inject co2 then you will be gassing all of it off with the sump. This is why getting a canister would be a good idea. Also, if you want a HOB over a canister, i would go with aquaclears instead of a c4 because the wet/dry section of the c4 will be likely to gas off more co2 than the aquaclear.

Sumps have been used in high tech planted tanks injected with co2. I believe Tom Barr uses them. Even if you started with just 4 plants, you might want to expand until you eventually transition to SW. So in other words, you say 4 plants now...but who knows?

It can be looked at in a simple progression that some take... something like this: start off with FW fish-only w/ plastic plants, then to low tech planted, then high tech with possible 'Collectoritis' tendencies (like me)..then move to SW FOWLR, and finally to the reef (the real money pit). Some folks just jump right in to the hard stuff, but that's of course up to you and your willingness to research with possible deep pockets? But the longer you stay in the planted tank side it's quite possible you might catch "the bug" and want to stay a little longer before moving on to SW. With that said, here's something interesting to read:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/plantbrains-stages-of-the-aquascaper-78741.html

So back to the business if the sump, which I'm assuming you want to eventually move to SW, right? Just by performing a quick internet search, there are some examples of how to mod your sump to not off gas co2, that is if you ever get involved with pressurized CO2 in the first place.

Like this one:
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/10438-Sump-mods-for-CO2-effeciency

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom