Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

@smitty, no I cAnt drill the 1" holes any larger. It's next to impossible to do that as the hole saws pilot bit would have nothing to catch. I'd also have to buy. 2" bulkheads. Besides, I would think (5) 1" holes rated apprx. 900 gal each would handle the flow of 3200 gph. I will drill a couple more 2 3/8" holes on the sumps distribution plate.

I'm on way home and will post pix soon.. Maybe a visual will help too.

Thanks guys!

Old 04-24-2011, 03:59 PM   #12

Ok, here's some pix.... hope they help... I will try adding (2) more 2 3/8" holes after Easter dinner...

The 1st pic obviously shows the overflows going down into the wet/dry. That pipe to the left of the overflow is another 1" return hooked up to a Rio 1200 on stand-by.

Pic #2 Shows the attachment to the Wet/Dry. BTW, I know the (2) ball valves are usually a no-no on a supply line, however, i am at about 15x turnover so the restriction is ok and i plan to keep them fully open and never throttled down. I'm not using a micron bag, I'm using micron media on top of the wet/dry, so i added the unions and valves to enable maintenance access.

Pic #3 Shows Wet/Dry connected to the sump with the (5) 1" bulkheads. The one pump is the Rio 1200 and the other is the Mag 500 pumping water into the sump. The 'white' blotch on the upper left is some sand in the sump and can be used to gauge the top of the sump. (when looking at the picture) The black line on the wet/dry shows the water level in the wet/dry when both of those pumps are on.

Pic #4 Shows the sump side of the arrangement. The water level doesn't get higher than that while operating.

I'll post a few more pix in a bit...

In the meantime....thoughts?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0741.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	35454   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0743.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	35455  

Name:	IMG_0744.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	35456   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0745.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	35457  

Old 04-24-2011, 04:03 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

What is the level of water in the wet/dry as compared to the tallest baffle in the sump?
Old 04-24-2011, 04:12 PM   #14

OK... Here's a few more Pix...

Pic #5 Shows (3) 1" returns coming off a 2" manifold. (It also shows my daughters reflection getting laundry out of the dryer).

Pic #6 Shows a close up of the sump... You can see the (2) 2 /38" holes i drilled and the pre-drilled rectangular holes. The water lever doesn't get more than a 1/2" higher in the sump. You can also see the bulkhead connections and the top of the wet/dry through the sump. Again, that white blotch on the right (this time) is sand that can be used to gauge the top of the sump when looking at this picture.

Pic #7 Shows the Mag 2400 sitting patiently. The water level pretty much stays the same when operating, as long as i have the Mag 500 and the Rio 1200 going in the wet/dry. Otherwise the water level drops so far in the return reservoir, the Mag 2400 has nothing to pump and THAT'S when the wet/dry wants to overflow. That leads me to believe the sump distribution plate is restricting the water onto the refugium part of the sump. So i'll see about adding more holes after dinner tonight.

I'm looking for advice before drilling a bunch of holes if they wont help.

Hope the pix help

Thanks All!

J
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0746.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	35462   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0749.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	35464  

Name:	IMG_0750.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	35465  
Old 04-24-2011, 04:14 PM   #15

@ smitty, it's about even.... only if i have the Mag 500 and the Rio 1200 going...otherwise it wants to overflow... and as you may or may not be able to tell from the pix... that puts it about 3" over the tallest baffle.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:19 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is hard to tell but if those holes in that first baffle were too small I would think the water would flow up over the top off it, as long as that wouldn't put the water level over the top of the wet/dry.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:30 PM   #17

Yea...that's true too...I'll have to watch that again when i fire it up tonight....

P.S. The pre-drilled holes in the 1st baffle are like 3/4" x 1" rectangles... I drilled the (2) 2 3/8" holes last night. I think i'm going to add 2 more of them too tonight.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:29 AM   #18

Just touching base to keep the thread alive. I haven't had ANY time since Easter Sunday to mess with my set-up. I'm hoping tonight i will have an hr or 2 to go about it...

Will update again..

Thanks to all who replied!

J
Old 04-30-2011, 11:56 PM   #19

Got IT!

OK... so it was in fact the first deflector plate in the sump causing the issue... I drilled (4) more 2 3/8" holes for a total of (6) plus the (2) pre-drilled rectangular holes in the plate. Now my water flows perfectly and my Mag 2400 can't keep up so the RIO 1200 MUST be used.

However, since my water level in the wet/dry is only 3" from the top, (which is too close for comfort in overflowing for me), I think i'm going to buy a Mag 1200 to join the Mag 2400 in return water and use the RIO 1200 to pump through the UV light and directly into the tank as opposed to back into the sump. That should lower the level in the wet/dry to a more comfortable/trusting height.

@Smitty, the actual height of the baffle plate in the sump in conjunction with the top of the wet/dry is actually a 1/2" lower, so when the water level reached the top of the plate, it was in essence reaching the top of the wet/dry too.

Problem solved... Thanks for all the replies and i will post pix of the completed project for those who maybe interested. After all, Aquariums built into a wall are always cool to look at.

Thanks all,
J
Old 05-02-2011, 02:04 AM   #20

I learned something!

Well... I just spent the last 2hrs. working on the set-up again... and i realized... I should've elevated my wet/dry higher than my sump. The water level in the wet/dry will never drop lower than 3" from the top without starving the return pump (no matter what size), since the top of the wet/dry is actually 1/2" above the overflow wall... If i raised the wet/dry, the water level could've been anywhere i wanted depending on how high i raised it.

So now i'm faced with a dilemma, patch the sump holes i just drilled (5 - 1" bulkheads), raise the wet/dry and drill new holes to accommodate so the water level can drop and the wet/dry be more effective or leave it as it is and trust that with the current configuration the water level will remain steady at 3" from the top?

Opinions???

Tags
dry, sump, wet, wet/dry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com