Wet/dry or sump issue, or both?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really hate the word 'trust' when it comes to the amount of possible water over-flow we are talking about. How much room do you have? Can you leave the holes the way they are and just separate the sump and wet/dry a bit and plumb the difference in height with PVC?

If there is any chance of overflow or drying out the return I wouldn't chance it.

Yea... I concur! I have a responsibility to redo the wet dry. Raising it and plumbing it might not be a bad idea... I have about 3" - 4" (left to right) to play with. If I got some 1" street 90's it might work... The biggest let down is going to come from the inlet on the top as i have limited room. I need (2) new slip bulkheads and (2) 1 1/2" street 90s to maximize the take-off space. Both of which i have ordered from Savco.

Well.. completion date extended another week! Ugh!

You will be much happier with it done in a secure way than if you let it be and risk having an overflow of water. Delays are painful but pay off in the end!

Lesson Learned

OK... Mission accomplished! Smitty, I considered your advice in plumbing the wet/dry to the sump... I even ordered the bulkheads preemptively.. however... while waiting for them to arrive... I spent the last day and a half sitting in front of the tank contemplating my situation. I decided that since the water level in the wet/dry was the same height as the overflow plate in the sump.... if i lowered the overflow plate it should lower the water level in the Wet/dry too..... and it did.

So in the end, i drilled the (6) extra 2 3/8" holes for nothing and ordered (7) bulkheads for nothing... (I'm sure if i pay return shipping, i can return them). But the results are perfect. My water level is 5" from the the top of the wet/dry. I did a simulated power outage and the water level only rises 3.5", leaving me a good 1" - 2" from the top.

I'll post some pix of the 'bare bones' tank tomorrow, just want to let the water clear up overnight.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

J

Well, in the end I'm glad it worked out well for you! Sometimes the easiest solution does escape us as first.

Back
Top Bottom