Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-23-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Wet/dry or sump issue, or both?

Ok... So I'm in the process of setting up my 225.. I have (2) CPR 150s running into my wetdry (which is rated for a 300gal tank), via 1.5" PVC. The wet dry is connected to a 30 gal sump via (5) 1" bulkheads. The other end of my sump has a Mag 2400 waiting to pump the water back via (4) 1" PVC supplies coming off a 2" manifold. The trouble I'm having is when both CPRs are going, my wet/dry wants to overflow.. I would think (5) 1" bulkheads (+\- 4500gph), would be enough to get the water out. I've got a feeling the sump baffle is the culprit as it has maybe insufficient holes to allow the water into the refugium part of it, then up/over and down to the waiting pump.

I'm at work now and will mess around with it when I get home. Just wanted to throw it out there and see if anybody had any suggestions.

Thanks,
J

Old 04-24-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would think that a 30g sump is way too mall for a 225 tank. It is clear that regardless of any baffles, you are draining more water than can be returned. Is the sump completely filling up and then overflowing or is it overflowing from just one section?

Old 04-24-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I think you have a couple of issues 1 the 30g sump is to small 2 you may have too much water in the tank. 3 you are draining 3200 gph and you are only returning only 2400 - any lose for lift and pluming. good luck and hopefully you dont food out your room ( that is not fun ).
Old 04-24-2011, 12:10 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies.

The sump is not overflowing at all, the wet/dry wants to overflow. Which is where the water is going into first. The. The water drains into a sump via (5) 1" bulkheads. the water level in the sump is steady, going over the micro-bubble wall nicely. The restriction appears to be as it enters the sump.

Last night I drilled (2) 2 3/8" holes in the baffle plate of the sump and that prevented the wet/dry from overflowing, but only by an inch from the top. I added a mag 500 to pump water from the wet/dry into the sump and that lowered the. Water to about 3"-4" from the top.

I feel that if the sump were too small the water would be overflowing there and not the wet/dry.. And if the nag 2400 were too small it would create the same issue. Since the pump is keeping up, it's safe to say I'm not draining 3200gph, @ least INTO the sump.

For the record, I have a Rio 1200 on standby piped on it's own 1" PVC supply to supplement the mag 2400, I just haven't needed to turn it on at this point.

Here is some advice I can pass along to whomever reads this. I have my filter and sump sitting in a secondary drain pan that is PVC drains to my basement drain. This way if my filter or sump does want to overflow due to a failed pump, it will flow into a pan and straight to the drain. A principle I employed from attic air conditioner installations so water doesnt fall through people's ceilings.

Let me know what u guys think..
Old 04-24-2011, 12:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can you post a picture of this? You say wet/dry and sump. Are you running both? I'm not sure I follow you.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:50 PM   #6

Yes, I am running both. I have a wet/dry from my friends old 300gal tank and a 30 gal sump as a supplement I will use as a refugium.

I WILL post pix when I get home, just left for the gym.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:05 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I don't think it is the sump size at all ... yes it is a bit small, but the flow will balance out regardless of sump size as long as you have your overflow set right. The water return rate should be exactly the same as the pump flow rate, regardless of the overflow rated capacity.

If the wet/dry is overflowing, it can be a couple things:
1. The drain from the wet/dry to the sump is too small. I don't know how you hook the 2 up. in my case, the wet/dry is in the sump and I have a big drainage channel directly to the sump (1"x12" openings x2), so it can take any amount of flow I throw at it.
2. Your distribution plate holes are too small (or clogged) & it is backing up there. I have to re-drill my plate when I up the pump flow or it will not drain fast enough. It will also back up if the holes are clogged. <I have an emergency bypass on top of the distribution plate so that if it clogs, the water will just overflow into the sump & bypass the wet/dry.>
3. If your wet/dry is too tightly packed, esp. with dense sponge or packed floss, there might be too much obstruction there. <Try removing all media & see if it works better.>
Old 04-24-2011, 01:13 PM   #8

@jsoong, I have a wet/dry filter rated for a 300 gal tank AND a 30gal sump connected to the wet/dry filter via (5) 1" bulkheads (+\- 4500gph capacity). I'm thinking the distribution plate at the sump enterance us the problem too.. I'm going to add a couple more 2 3/8" holes and see if that helps.

As far as media goes, this is a new set-up and I am in the test phase of the filter, so I have no media in place yet, or sand in the tank or anything. Basically testing for leaks and operation.

I'll post pix in the next hour.

Thanks all..
Old 04-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Now i see i would try what jsoong said
Old 04-24-2011, 01:20 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, I'm understanding that more now. I though those 5 1" pipes where coming down from the tank, not going between the wet/dry and sump. Even with that number (plus the 2 extra you drilled) perhaps it still isn't enough (as you have seen yourself) but it sounds like you are on the right track in getting it going. Perhaps several large holes. Can you drill those 1" holes out to 2"?

Tags
dry, sump, wet, wet/dry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com