Wet/Dry overflow problem last night...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChrisJackie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Last night we had an extended power outage that out lasted my battery backup. Normally my wet/dry will quit draining into the sump when the water level drops below the skimmer. Well that did not happen last night! Looks like it continued to siphon water out thru the water output nozzle. This has never happened before so I would assume something malfunctioned. Anyone else ever had this problem? Is there a check valve or something I can put inline to prevent this from happening again? I don't want to have to clean up 5 gallons of water off of my hardwood floors again... Could have done a lot of damage if I wasn't home.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Check the plumbing section of Marinedepot.com I know they have check valves in various sizes.

You can also drill a small hole just below the water lineat your output line. That way when water line goes below that hole air will get in there and stop reverse water flow. There was a big talk about this on a recent forum. Have a good day.

no he meant where the water is pumped out of. not the intake but the exhaust thingy

Thats what I`m talking about. I`m talking about just below the output nozzle where the water does a reverse flow when the pump shuts off and goes back to the sump

melos deserves some kudos on that. That is the solution to your problem if that ever happens again. Drill a small hole in both the intake feed and the output feed of the system just below the water surface and that will break the syphon.

Exactly. Drill the hole on the underside so water will squirt down and not up out of tank. We are not talking about a big hole either. Just big enough to break the syphon.. Thanks

ahh yes. i forgot about that. i was thinking that the thingy would be like under water and wasnt think about the water height good job :)

Thanks everyone, I drilled a small hole in the output line just below the water surface as you all suggested. I tested it and it works perfectly. Thanks again.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom