wet/dry versus refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nerso

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
what is better for a 50 gallon FOWLR aquarium, a wet dry with protein skimmer, or a refugium with a protein skimmer? Some people say a wet dry system is better for fish only tanks, but others say refugiums are better regardless..TIA

I have had both. I started off with the wet dry. Lot of people say wet dry`s are a nitrate factory. I could not get my nitrates under control until I got a denitrator. I then switched to the refugium that Ihave now. The Grape Calerpa I have in there takes the place of the denitrator and my nitrates are at 0. I believe the refugium is the better choice from my experience.

thanks for the advice, thats what I was thinking as well. Have you guys had any experience with the HOB CPR Aquafuge? Im thinking of setting that up on my 50 FOWLR with my CPR Bakpak skimmer. I was also thinking of just making a refugium, but I am fairly new to this so I might just buy a new one to start off.

If you have the room under your stand the refugium there is the best idea. I had a 55 gallon tank and had a 10 gallon under the stand. The bigger the better. I now have a 125 gallon tank with a 40 gallon refugium. So far so good. Let me go find some wood to knock on. Have a good day

yeah, thats what I figured as well. I have an extra 10 gallon tank that I had set up as a nano reef once, I still have the dual 40w PC for it too, maybe I should just convert that into a fuge and stick it under the tank. Now I just need to go figure out how to make a fuge with return pumps and all that good stuff.

This is my first time using a refugium, and even though its a simple design and concept, I am not much of a DIY'er and would probably screw up a sump and refugium...since its my first time with refugiums, Im gonna get a HOB kind with my CPR skimmer, its seems to be the most convenient and simple procedure. I dont have to mess with plumbing and all that stuff. I was just a little suspicous if the HOB refugiums would be enough for a 50 gallon, but I think it would.

I have a questions regarding those refugiums with a HOB trickle thingie:

What happens when the power goes out? Does your HOB trickle unit spill water?

Would your refugium start to overflow water too?

Is there a risk of water overflows with these systems?

Can I use a regular tank without those wall dividers as oppossed to the ready to use refugium off the shelf?

What is the common knowledge when it comes to making sure that water doesn't overflow (meaning fill with too much water and spill out of) from the HOB trickle unit? Or does physics of the setup guarantee that water will not overflow out of your refugium below?

Is a refugium OK to place fish in or would it be too dirty(for a lack of knowledge, sorry for this word) and stuff?

With my refuge it will not overflow because once it stops overflowing the 2 towers (forgot what they are called) The water stops draining to the sump. I`ve got mine set up so that by the time all the water stops coming down I still have 5 inches to spare. I`m having a brain block. I guess they are called overflows

Back
Top Bottom