Wet/dry vs. canister vs. HOB? Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would argue that wet/dry is the best bacterial based filter.. the nitrate problem is from lack of maintainace (if you clean out the sludge that collects under the filter area every once in a while the NO3 doesnt build up any qicker as long as everything else stays the same) It just has a better design to get more O2 to more square inches of bio-media then any other bacterial based filter type..

But look at the cost of a wet/dry. Just getting the tank drilled with overflows installed is $100+ dollars. Then I would have to pay to get someone to plumb the thing b/c I'm not confident I could do it correctly. The internal overflows take up tank space too (although not a whole lot). I would still have to spend some more money to build the sump and wet/dry system, which I'm not very confident about doing myself at this point either. I could get 2, 350 gph canisters for $230.00 and add the HOBs I already have and BOOM, I'm in business with no drilling or overflows or any of that stuff. The wet/dry is better, I think, but the canisters are easier up front, but probably more maintenance and money down the road. Who knows.

I wouldnt drill a tank personally.. overflow boxes run from 30-60 bucks and they are external and take up tops 4" of space in the back.... and If you've done some house plumbing its not as big of a deal.. but.. If you dont want to DIY it, for whatever reason, wet/dry is just plain expensive, your right.. it is a experience.. to do all of the above including cutting glass for the sump and plumbing.. if you have never plumbed anything and you have never cut glass then I could see were the project would be intimidating.. I wish you the best of luck by the way! :p

Back
Top Bottom