Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-13-2005, 10:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wet/dry vs. canister vs. HOB? Help!

I went by my lfs for a chat yesterday. I told them I'd be in the market for a 90 gallon tank soon, and possibly a 55 or 60 gallon tank. Once I get these 2 and add them to my 2, 29 gallons and my 10 gallon tank I hope my MTS will go into remission. Anyway, the 110 has the same footprint as the 90 so I decided that would probably be better. The lfs guy told me to go with a wet/dry filtration system and that he would come to my house and set it up. I've read and have been told that these are the most effective and low maintenance filtration systems to get. Their 110 gallon set up comes with 2 Aquaclear 110s (500 gph apiece), which is 400 gph more than the 600 gph wet/dry I'm looking at. I may put the 2 110s on the 60 and go with a wet/dry on the 110. Many have stated they like canister filters and I've been looking at those too. My lfs carries mostly Renas. I could trade the 2 AC 110s for a Rena canister if someone tells me that a canister filter that does 350 gph is better than 2 HOBs that do 1000 gph combined.

Old 08-13-2005, 10:31 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would go for the 2 HOB filters.

Why??
because - you can put 1 HOB on each side (left/right) of the tank
that way you get proper circulation

not to mention that fact that 2 HOB provide greater filtration than the single canister filter

in actual fact - 1 HOB provides better filtration than the canister filter
(wow, didn't realise the aquaclear was sooooo powerful)

Old 08-13-2005, 10:49 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Not only that, they are cheaper than one canister filter too! Someone chime in if this reasoning is wrong b/c I agree with Bubble_BOy. A Fluval 404 does 340 gph and costs about $125. I can get 2 AC 110s at the same place for $90 and they filter almost 3X more water than the canister. So, does the canister filter 3X better per gph?
Old 08-13-2005, 11:34 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

here is what you do...

get the aquaclear
get 2 sponges
get bioballs/biomax

that's 3 layers of super filtration !!
Old 08-13-2005, 11:40 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

If it were me, I'd go with the wet/dry or the canister. And if you do use canisters, two would be better.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 11:53 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Dax29, consider this: That tank(s) will be the show pieces of your home. Why have HOB's hanging off of it, making it look awkward? Two canisters or the wet/dry will not be visible and you will appreciate the look (not to mention being the envy of everyone who sees it). No reason to think in terms of cost effectiveness when you get to this size. Now you must also take the overall look into consideration.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchillin
Dax29, consider this: That tank(s) will be the show pieces of your home. Why have HOB's hanging off of it, making it look awkward? Two canisters or the wet/dry will not be visible and you will appreciate the look (not to mention being the envy of everyone who sees it). No reason to think in terms of cost effectiveness when you get to this size. Now you must also take the overall look into consideration.
yeah, presentation is also another factor

although, a canister filter can look just as unsightly as a HOB.

i've seen aquariums where the canister is just sitting underneath the aquarium (open stand). UGLY !!

If you are going to have a canister, it should be hidden in the cupboard (therefore, get a closed stand)
Old 08-13-2005, 12:28 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Codefox Send a message via AIM to Codefox Send a message via MSN to Codefox Send a message via Yahoo to Codefox
Y'know, a canister may be able to give a more impressive presentation, but I don't think the average person notices the lack of a HOB since we all tend to keep tanks that are so well maintained, your attention is always on the tank. Not saying lack of a HOB isn't nice...just that I don't think most people notice.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:35 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to webmoose
Noise is another considerations HOB is far louder than most canisters...

I have 1 HOB and 1 canister on my 58.

Some canisters can have the heater built in so your heating the water as it circulates.

moose

8 Gallon hex - 3 F1 Black Brichardi and fry..("Lamprologus sp. Walter")

10 gallon work tank - Pair of dwarf gourami and 2 cherry barbs / 2 gallon - 4 Fundulopanchax gardneri / 10 gallon - bunch of killitanks

Vote Here for Aquarium Advice
webmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 01:01 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thank you all! This has been great! The 110 gallon tank will be a major showpiece cause I'm gonna go with a Lake Malawi set up (if I still get to get the tank). I'm leaning towards the wet/dry filter that will be contained in the cabinet underneath and the guy at the lfs said he set it up for me. I'm looking at a wet dry that will do about 600 gph. Does the wet/dry provide for good aeration though (hmmmm)? Should I back it up with a canister, say a 340-350 gph Fluval, Rena, or Cascade? That would probably fit in the cabinet too.

On the 60 gallon (basically a tall 55) I think I'm gonna use my HOBs. I'm probably gonna use my Penguin 350 BioWheel and an Aquaclear 110. That'll give me 850 gph with those and that tank will be in my office at home and few people will see it. I already have the 350 Penguin and I'm gonna have to break down that 29 and trade in some fish and use the decor I have in it an add to it in the 60. I don't think my wife will allow for 2 bigger tanks in addition to what I have so I'm prepared to let one 29 go. I want to keep a couple of severums and maybe a couple more new world cichlids in the 60 gallon. The 850 gph should keep the water clean and aerated.

Tags
canister, dry, hob, wet, wet/dry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com