What are the odds.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrianNY

Aquarium Advice Addict
of having 2 cannister filters crapping out on the same day?

One is an Eheim 2217 barely a year old. Broken impeller. No lfs carries this replacement part so I have to order direct from Eheim. The other is a Fluval 304 about a year and a half old. The seal gave out.

We had QTOFFER over for dinner and while looking at the planted 55 noticed that the water level was about an inch low. Looked down at the filter and saw a small water streaming from the cannister. Lucky that we were observing it at the time. I keep the cannisters in plastic trays about 6 inches deep just in case of slow leaks. The tray was almost full of water :roll: .

Fortunately I had just received a Filstar XP3 for a tank I hadn't set up yet (on your recommendation TG :lol: ). WOW. Can my wife ever set up a filter in a hurry. LOL . We moved a seeded hydro V into the tank to keep the bacteria colony.

So. It's a good idea to keep the cannisters in something leak proof. Keep a seeded sponge filter for an emergency. And on larger tanks (the eheim was on a 125), run 2 cannisters. I have a Fluval 404 running on that one as well so I'm not concerned about a catostrophe.

I heard about your great pit crew work from a post made by QT earlier today. Good to have a spair and your tub idea did indeed save the floor from what would have been a real soaking.

What are the odds you ask?

Last Friday my Dad calls me. He stayed home from work becuase his sump pump gave up the ghost and he was going to have to replace it.

I went downstairs Saturday morning and my ejector pump did the same thing.

We live 350 miles apart.

Them are some odds.

Bad things happen in threes, so I hope you don't have any other cannister filters. On that note, stay far far away from my cannister filter! :D
I'm going to rub my lucky penny just in case!

Bad things QTOFFER? Surely you jest. These were good things. It happened at a time when I had a spare, and I was around to catch it. I'm thankful it happened this week and not when Tara and I are away. :D :D

Back
Top Bottom