Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-26-2014, 11:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

What are your thought on this test kit?

Ok guys so it is time for me to update my test kits and I came across the Nutrafin Master test kit and am considering it as a possible candidate. What are you thoughts, opinions, suggestions. Is this a decent test kit or is there something better?, my current was the API master kit . Thanks NutraFin Master Aquarium Test Kit at PETCO

Old 03-26-2014, 12:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

i would go to Foster and smith and buy the Red Sea series, it's more accurate and cheaper.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I went as you suggested but the only test kits Red Sea seems to offer are for marine tanks.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Sorry about that Dragon just realized I forgot to include this will original post . My primary tank is freshwater but I will be adding a marine tank soon.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:56 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Ok I was reading through some saltwater threads and noticed Sniperhank mention Hanna testers what are your thoughts on these for freshwater, did not see a Nitrate tester?
Old 03-27-2014, 09:58 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

i'm going to draw a lot of heat by saying this but it is my personal experience as i have both 65gal planted tank and a reef tank: as long as your tank is cycled and you keep up with the water changes (once a week - once every two weeks) and proper maintenance, a test kit for freshwater isn't as important. test kit for saltwater is a different story since you're dealing with more elements such as alk and calcium. i can't remember the last time i checked my parameters for the planted tanks and my fishes are fat as heck, so i'm guessing everything in my tank is good.

Hanna Testers are good, just like the Red Sea test kits. but it's more aiming toward saltwater as well based of my past experience and what i was able to gather from other hobbyists.

if you really need a test kit for your freshwater tank, a regular API test kit would be sufficient. some argue that they're not accurate or as accurate as other top brands, but my test kit has yet to fail to notify any significant changes in my freshwater parameters.

there, i let the cat of the box and i'm sure i'm going to get beat up by someone for saying what i said.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:08 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Hanna testers are for sw only, they don't work with fw. API is fine for fresh
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:33 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Ok guys thanks for the input....Btw bribo12 according to the description for this Ammonia checker it is in fact for freshwater http://www.hannainst.com/usa/prods2....01&ProdCode=HI 733. Please don't take that the wrong I am grateful for your input/help I just wanted to put it out there.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:23 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huro View Post
Ok guys thanks for the input....Btw bribo12 according to the description for this Ammonia checker it is in fact for freshwater http://www.hannainst.com/usa/prods2....01&ProdCode=HI 733. Please don't take that the wrong I am grateful for your input/help I just wanted to put it out there.
No you're right lol. I didn't know it was out yet as they don't have an ammonia one for salt.

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
test, test kit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com