Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-21-2004, 06:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What do filters actually do?

The most obvious thing they do is remove particles and sediment. The only filters I have experience with are UGF and walmart style HOB. My Regent Aqua Tech filter cartridges are a plastic mesh for removing particles and activated carbon.

What all does activated carbon do? I think it removes chlorine and ammonia - but what else does it remove? Ammonia should be removed by bacteria and plants and there shouldn't be any chlorine in there. I assume that activated carbon also removes other chemicals.

I have a 6 stage RO+DI filter. I'm thinking of taking half on the water after the three carbon filters and before the RO membrane and the other half of the water after all 6 filters. I'm guessing this will remove chlorine insecticides and most other chemicals in the water, while still leaving the minerals and electrolytes for the fish and plants. If I carbon filter all water that goes into the aquarium is there any need for the activated carbon in my HOB filter?

Do any of the fancier filters do anything more than particle filter, carbon filter, and provide a place for beneficial bacteria?

Old 05-21-2004, 09:02 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
What all does activated carbon do? I think it removes chlorine and ammonia - but what else does it remove? Ammonia should be removed by bacteria and plants and there shouldn't be any chlorine in there. I assume that activated carbon also removes other chemicals.
Carbon does not remove ammonia, only the bacteria do that. As long as you add dechlor to the tank, there should be no chlorine. Carbon is used to take out meds, or other chemicals such as tannins from wood. Personally, I do not use carbon in my 6 tanks.
Every filter has three functions (HOB or canister):
~Mechanical--sponge to remove crud
~Biological--where the bacteria grow
~Chemical--carbon
HOB or canister comes down to a matter of preference.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com