What do filters actually do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hashbaz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The most obvious thing they do is remove particles and sediment. The only filters I have experience with are UGF and walmart style HOB. My Regent Aqua Tech filter cartridges are a plastic mesh for removing particles and activated carbon.

What all does activated carbon do? I think it removes chlorine and ammonia - but what else does it remove? Ammonia should be removed by bacteria and plants and there shouldn't be any chlorine in there. I assume that activated carbon also removes other chemicals.

I have a 6 stage RO+DI filter. I'm thinking of taking half on the water after the three carbon filters and before the RO membrane and the other half of the water after all 6 filters. I'm guessing this will remove chlorine insecticides and most other chemicals in the water, while still leaving the minerals and electrolytes for the fish and plants. If I carbon filter all water that goes into the aquarium is there any need for the activated carbon in my HOB filter?

Do any of the fancier filters do anything more than particle filter, carbon filter, and provide a place for beneficial bacteria?

What all does activated carbon do? I think it removes chlorine and ammonia - but what else does it remove? Ammonia should be removed by bacteria and plants and there shouldn't be any chlorine in there. I assume that activated carbon also removes other chemicals.
Carbon does not remove ammonia, only the bacteria do that. As long as you add dechlor to the tank, there should be no chlorine. Carbon is used to take out meds, or other chemicals such as tannins from wood. Personally, I do not use carbon in my 6 tanks.
Every filter has three functions (HOB or canister):
~Mechanical--sponge to remove crud
~Biological--where the bacteria grow
~Chemical--carbon
HOB or canister comes down to a matter of preference.

Back
Top Bottom