What do I need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Millerman

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have this small submersible pump from an old water fountain. I have never used a water pump but what type of tubbing do I use to get it to the tank. The output thing is 1/2 inch but it's threaded. What do I need to buy?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

What are you trying to accomplish?

Typically you buy an adapter that it would take it from 1/2" threaded to 1/2" hose barb. Then stuff some tubing on there.

I'm trying to pump water from buckets to the tank to do water changes. Could you possibly link the adapter you were talking about so I know what I need to look for. Will this be just at lowes? Thanks

I use a pump to drain my tanks - using it to fill a tank would be no different. If you are not mechanically inclined, you can just bring the pump to the hardware store and tell them what you are trying to do - they'll set you up. Not that anyone here can't :)

Where there is water, you'll find me in it, on it or staring at it

I'm just a little confused on what piece I'm looking for. Would some 1/2 threaded PVC work?

You will need to attach a hose to the outflow from the pump. If thigs are perfect you can just shove it on there. That's what I was able to do with mine. If things are a less perfect, you can shove it on there and put a clamp on it. If things are far from perfect, you'll have to put a piece on the outflow that will fit whatever hose you are going to use.

Where there is water, you'll find me in it, on it or staring at it

You probably need something like this

8fcuk3m.jpg

If the end is already male you will also need a female to female coupler.

Thanks everyone

Back
Top Bottom