What do you all think about this for connecting 2 tanks....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not sure what you are talking about connecting 2 tanks together...dont see anything on that thread except a tank and sump??!

The overflow box in the tank with the tank drilled and a bulkhead in the tank. My orignal idea was just a hole and bulkhead and no overflow.

OK in my previous thread about connecting the two tanks I came up with this idea about drilling a hole in the top of the tank and just letting it drain always. Well new I have found this idea of putting a "box" around the hole like a overflow. That way it wont drain all the water out of the tank and it looks alot better than a normal overflow box.

Im wondering if anyone sees any potential problems I could see with this setup? I know on my last idea it seemed that the drain would drain to fast and always be at the point where the hole was.

Not sure why you would want a ugly box taking up room in your tank if its not needed??
Bulkhead fittings need no box, you can add a plastic cover which are made for the fittings to stop things from going into the pipe and adding a elbow to the fitting can be used if you want to raise the level of the water in the tank.
All the water wont drain out of the tank, it will only go down as far as the bottom of the hole...

ya... I have that type of set up on my 125, 55 and 20 tanks...
the 125 and 55 have 2 bulk heads in the upper corners with a nipple and elbow on that. Point it up and the water level raises and you can adjust the amount of water flow into the sump by twisting them up and down. That way you can get the flow rate you want. I have the plastic filter on the ends of the elbows so nothing gets into them to plug them up. not sure what the proper term is for the filter things...

Back
Top Bottom