Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks for the input guys, I think I've pretty much settled on T5's being the way to go, just need to figure out which fixture now.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:57 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Regular

The discussion of T5 versus Halides has been going on forever. The opinion as to which is better goes back and forth and endless. Right now there's LED thrown in the discussion but most agree that the rpice and the technology has a long way to go. Price down and technology up. I would venture to say that most using halides supplement with T5's as I do.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:06 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynotcars View Post
The discussion of T5 versus Halides has been going on forever. The opinion as to which is better goes back and forth and endless. Right now there's LED thrown in the discussion but most agree that the rpice and the technology has a long way to go. Price down and technology up. I would venture to say that most using halides supplement with T5's as I do.
Any thoughts on these LEDs from CAD Lighting as they're only about $200 more than the fixtures I was looking at and the first time I have to change the bulbs in 6-8 months is going to cost me almost that anyways.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think you would do just fine wit a 5' tek over your 72" tank. That is just 6" on each side without lights directly over it. You are going to get plenty of reflection if you keep the sides clean. But that would be if you were picking it up used. 2 36s wuld be better anyway so you are not wasting light over the center brace.

LED is about to boom. My 48" fixture has 24 actinic royal blue leds and cost less than $100. I am building a 40 for my solana soon. These 3watt leds put my reefbrite to shame and that thing looks great on my 8gal pod.

MH is about to go the way of UGF and bioballs. Lol

Tags
150 gallon, 50 gallon, light, lights

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com