Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-19-2011, 06:06 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thats a grear deal imo. even with the color.

I brought a tape measure with me last two times I bought a tank off CL. They seemed to appreciate it.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:35 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconis View Post
It's always a worry of mine with a used tank. I examine it heavily to make sure there are none, check the sealing and stuff...but you never know. That would suck, big time.
From personal experience, SUCK is an understatement.
I re did the silicone 4 times before I gave up and just bought a brand new tank. I had only paid $75.00 and they delivered it to me. So it wasn't a huge loss and the new tank was only $99.00, it didn't break the bank.
But all that water everywhere, that's another story.
I would wait a week before refilling it with water. Then I'd wait another week to see if it would leak, before adding the gravel and decorations.
It still took a day or 2 before it would start to drain out the bottom of the tank, every time.
Turns out the tank was fine with the water, but the added weight of the gravel would cause the tank to bow and pull away from the silicone.
It didn't matter how much silicone I used or how far I spread it out from the edges. It would eventually leak all over the carpet.
Fortunately I own a carpet steamer cleaner. So I could suck up all the water in 15 minutes, before it could do any permanent damage. I learned years ago that you should never own pets, even fish, without owning a steam cleaner.
I rent, and I don't ever want to cause that kind of damage to someone else's property.
But the same goes if I owned my home.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:46 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm sorry to hear that happened to you, that's really a shame. Did you let the person know? I would give them a piece of my mind if it leaked upon first fill.
Marconis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:28 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconis View Post
I'm sorry to hear that happened to you, that's really a shame. Did you let the person know? I would give them a piece of my mind if it leaked upon first fill.
Normally I would have raised all kinds of ___. But they were a very young married couple that had just had twin boys. They were already under enough pressure. And it's not like it would have changed anything. I still wanted the stand, so I didn't want them to take it back and give me back my money. There isn't much else they could have done.
Plus my not so LFS sold me a new tank at cost, without any shipping charges. They're really good people. The FS people I mean.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:11 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

See thread:
55g Dirt Planted
Old 04-20-2011, 10:13 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

This deal keeps getting better and better!

I put the decorations, filter and light up on CL. On Friday a dude is coming to get the three decorations for $15, and some guy inquired about the light that I put up for $25. . Just have the filter left.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:41 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
You got a great deal

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com