What do you use to clean Glass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afilter

Aquarium Advice Addict
As the topic states I am wondering what others use.

Some time ago I was strongly advised by a reputable LFS not to use normal glass cleaner on my tanks for the reasons of contaminating the tank. I argued that I always sprayed on the towel first and then wiped. They countered with it does not matter it is still not good for the tank. So they made a sale and I bought a product called Safe& Easy made by aquarium Pharmaceuticals(expensive nontoxic glass cleaner).

Well now our 10 month old Golden Retriever takes great interest in the tank and constantly smudges it as he chases the fish to amuse himself (actually sometimes I suspect the fish of teasing him) :lol:

Anyway, I am going through glass cleaner like crazy as I am a bit particular about the cleanliness. As a result I have switched back to good old windex.

Any thoughts on this?

I used to use vinegar diluted in water since I heard that was aquarium safe unless you just poured it straight into the tank. I was worried about that, so I went out and bought Python Aquarium Safe Glass Cleaner. The Python stuff smell EXACTLY like vinegar :D

I use regular old Windex type stuff, sprayed on a towel first, away from the tank, or I use the Windex Wipes that are already wet. I have never gotten this near the rim or the water, and it does not harm glass so it will not harm your tank. You will want to avoid soaking the corners where your seals are, but usually just to clean the glass you don't hose down the seams with the stuff.

I think the product you mention is just a way to make a buck on a nervous aquarist.

I was wondering this too. I heard not to use windex and its making me nuts. I am glad to read this post. I was using windex for awhile and had no problems, then someone said I shouldn't. I thought I would rather be safe than sorry, but if you guys do it..I think I will run right now and clean it up!!! ha ha..

I just put pain old water in a spray bottle and then i sprey it down, then wipe it with my old baby diapers that i used when i was a young n'. it works great too.

You know you probably could just use a damp cloth and wipe with a dry one, since all you are doing is trying to get water spots and whatnot off - there likely is no reason to use chemicals.

I certainly have a ton of cloth baby diapers from my first child when I actually thought I'd be noble and use them - HA!

Oh, you have not seen dog slobber until you have seen THIS dog's slobber - those "shoestrings" go flying and you'd better duck. The fishtanks take quite a few hits. I find that if you let them dry, they peel up nicely..... :twisted:

normal_Cave%202004.jpg

Windex sells a variety of window cleaner with vinegar in it, I use that one and have no problems. I also like to use micro fiber cloth to do some of the wipe downs, you don't have to add any chemicals to this cloth, works great getting the dust off tv's too. My 2 sense worth. :lol:
Bob

Back
Top Bottom