What filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since I don't have room for a sump I use a fluval 305 on my 55g reef and a protein skimmer. :-D

if you don't have room for a sump which I did not either at one point use to run a fluval 405 on mine... i use to put only carbon in it..gave me super clear water

Jereli said:
if you don't have room for a sump which I did not either at one point use to run a fluval 405 on mine... i use to put only carbon in it..gave me super clear water

I don't have room for a sump but is that a canister filter? I was told canister filter arnt good for saltwater and I was also told a skimmer isn't needed if I do a FOWLR

If you maintain your canister you don't have to worry about nitrates building up inside which is one of their known drawbacks.

If you keep up on your pwc's and stay fowlr you should be ok without a skimmer. :-D

yup... I never had any issues with nitrates when I was running a canister for almost a year... Like carey said just make sure you perform regular maintnance and it should be fine... I personally would rather go with a canister then the hang on back type filters

Agreed. It's a much cleaner look and its easier maintenance imo. I take it apart every other month now, I used to clean out the fluval every month but there was never anything in it really. lol

I'm currently testing at 0 trates and have been using the canister for a few months. :-D

carey said:
Since I don't have room for a sump I use a fluval 305 on my 55g reef and a protein skimmer. :-D

Hey carey I'm not being judgmental or anything but isn't fluval 305 abit small for a 55 gallon? Ermm just wondering. XD

True. I just had it lying around and didn't wanna keep using the cheap HOB that I was. it's only for mechanical filtration anyway, I've been thinking of taking it out completely and just running a reactor and the skimmer.

carey said:
True. I just had it lying around and didn't wanna keep using the cheap HOB that I was. it's only for mechanical filtration anyway, I've been thinking of taking it out completely and just running a reactor and the skimmer.

O ok cool! I've being thinking about giving fluval a trail. I've alway used eheim pros. But they are pricey and I would like to buy another canister filter for my 29 gallons I'm planning on buying.

I really can't say enough about the fluvals. i have the 305 and the fx5. I haven't had anything other than aquaclears so I can't be a judge on other brands. :)

The fluvals are really cleverly built and I never have any issues maintaining them.

Back
Top Bottom