What filter is best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which filter is the best!

• Internal - sponge

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Internal - sponge+biorings+extras

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • HOT (Hang on Tank)

• HOB (Hang on Back)

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • External Canister

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Undergravel

• Other

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters

senemedar

Aquarium Advice Freak
In the chat-room yesterday there was a bit of a talk about filters and that got me thinking, which one is best? I'm also asking, because I'm looking for a new tank for Christmas, and that would help me a lot to know what to look for!
Some of the tanks I looked at had some sort of plate atop of it, where all the sponges/biorings/etc. are going and I don't know is that a good idea?
So - post your thoughts please and help me decide :D
Oh, and I'm looking for something around 200l (roughly 52 US gallons) and I believe this might be deciding in choosing the right filter.

Hmmm... no comments? Does that mean I don't need a filter? Great! It's gonna be so much cheaper :D :hide:

But seriously, what do you think about the filter that hangs above the tank (kind of plate you put everything on/in)? Is that a HOT filter?

A "hob" filter? One that hangs on the back of the tank. If your able to get hold of an aqua clear 70 or 110 then they would be your best present to date.

If you're new to this, a power filter (hang on tank) would be a good choice to start. For a 50 gallon tank though, the size power filter needed would necessarily make it quite conspicuous, which is why more advanced hobbyists might choose a canister filter (which has other advantages over power filters).

Actually, a HOT and a HOB are different.
If you want a HOT the Marineland HOT Magnum is a good choice.
If you want a HOB, a Marineland Emperor 400 would be a good choice.
If you have larger fish (which poop more), you would be good to go with an Emperor 400, and an Emperor 280. Which is what have on my 55g (208l) tank.

Actually, a HOT and a HOB are different.
If you want a HOT the Marineland HOT Magnum is a good choice.
If you want a HOB, a Marineland Emperor 400 would be a good choice.
If you have larger fish (which poop more), you would be good to go with an Emperor 400, and an Emperor 280. Which is what have on my 55g (208l) tank.

I checked for them, but the only way I can get them in the UK is through some online PetStores, but in every one I've found they'd been marked as "discontinued"... (I liked the price though :D)
Any ideas for a filter from UK manufacturer?

It totally depends on the application it is being used for IMO. We have some of most of them. The only one that I would shy away from would be the UGF even though they are good filters if run in reverse flow.

Yes, but... Is the sponge filter enough? When do you need a more advanced filters, with all the bio-rings, etc? Does it depends on capacity or the fish you have?

Both the sponge and the bio-rings, etc. serve the same purpose. They provide a media for the bacteria to colonize and become your "biofilter". Sponge filters are, IMO, the best bio filter there when properly sized and with correct flow. The added benefits to the other types of filters are really in the ability to do a good mechanical filtration and allow the addition of chemical treatment if desired.

Back
Top Bottom