What filter media should i use for my tank setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thrawn9485

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have been using carbon, but want to know if there is anything better that lasts longer
I have been changing the carbon every couple months
I want to be change the filter media as least often as possible.
I do weekly 5 gallon water changes.

Tank Setup:
30 Gal
Undergravel filter with two air hose uplift tubes and 1.5 inches of gravel
Emporer 280 with bio-wheel
Magnum 350 with two bio-wheels (Obly have the bio wheels as the outflow, took off the normal outflow)

Fish:
5 Glofish Tetras
5 Glofish Danios
1 Glofish Barb
1 Golden Loach
1 Rubber Lip Pleco
2 Mystery Snails
5 Male Fancy Guppy's

Thinking of adding an African Dwarf Frog and few Amano or Ghost Shrimp

I would definitely look into AquaClear filters. They are amazing. Carbon really isn't doing anything for your tank other than taking out chemicals and making your tank smell better
Aquaclear has the BioMax (Which houses beneficial bacteria), carbon and a big faom spong for capturing debree. I would reccomend an Aquaclear 70 for your size tank. Make sure you keep the bio wheels from the old filters and put them in the aquaclears too until the aquaclear gets enough beneficial bacteria to house. When you clean the Aquaclear don't clean the Biomax because again that's what's stores the beneficial bacteria which you need for a tank. Squeeze the sponge in a 5 gallon bucket of old tank water. You don't really need the carbon.

I don't really want to buy any new filters, i just want to know what filter media i should use for my current setup, what should i be putting in the magnum 350 and emporer 280 instead of carbon.

Most non-sponge Bio Media clogs up and must be replaced

Edit: Not sure how but I originally put my response to another thread about lava rock in here so I am deleting it except to note that with respect to bio-media, I suggest people listen to King of youtube DIY aquarium Joey Mullen is usually spot on. Go here:

CheckOutTheLatest - Subscribe to YouTube channels with Facebook

As far as needing to replace biomedia, I found he is correct. I pretty much accepted the notion that biomedia never needs to be replaced. However, I noticed the pad over the drip tray of my oldest Fluval C3 HOB was totally clogged causing the water to completely bypass the bio-media and fall onto the "lip"/outake of the filter. When I scrubbed hard and rinsed it in distilled water I was uderly amazaed at how much "gunk" came out.

Then I looked at the 6 month old C-Nodes and Seachem Matrix sitting in the drip tray. It is by no means clogged but there is a significant "growth" of slime and gunk that will in fact render the biomedia to become less effective over time. Manufacturer says rinse/replace half every six months. I figure once a year is enough. This really shocked me since my water is crystal clear and passes through 100 micron polishing pads before being passed through the chemical filtration chamber and biomedia tray.

Last edited:
+1. I can't believe I forgot to mention it ..... since I have two 100ml bags in each of my two tanks and I'd never be without it.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/purigen-296584-2.html#post2837962

I've also found once you run purigen for a few months you can just pull it out and use filter floss and the water stay awesome.

29 Gallon bowfront with AC30 just using a course sponge and itler floss fter 2 months of purigen

xHHj7sC.jpg

I have been using carbon, but want to know if there is anything better that lasts longer
I have been changing the carbon every couple months
I want to be change the filter media as least often as possible.
I do weekly 5 gallon water changes.

Tank Setup:
30 Gal
Undergravel filter with two air hose uplift tubes and 1.5 inches of gravel
Emporer 280 with bio-wheel
Magnum 350 with two bio-wheels (Obly have the bio wheels as the outflow, took off the normal outflow)

Fish:
5 Glofish Tetras
5 Glofish Danios
1 Glofish Barb
1 Golden Loach
1 Rubber Lip Pleco
2 Mystery Snails
5 Male Fancy Guppy's

Thinking of adding an African Dwarf Frog and few Amano or Ghost Shrimp

I suggest chemi pure elite and or purigen both top of the line media and both last 4 to 6 months and they keep your tank crystal blue clear. I use both of them a they work great together. Good luck

I suggest chemi pure elite and or purigen both top of the line media and both last 4 to 6 months and they keep your tank crystal blue clear. I use both of them a they work great together. Good luck
Can I ask why you say crystal blue clear. I've seen it on a few of your posts???

The best filter ever

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1400101562026.jpg
    1400101562026.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 94
Back
Top Bottom