What filter should I get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am going to be getting a 180 gallon aquarium. What's a good filter that I should invest in?

I love the rena canisters filters that I had on mine but within the last few months I turned them off and only run a sump. My best advice is on tanks above the 4' footprint I start recommending sumps, there is nothing better.

I love the rena canisters filters that I had on mine but within the last few months I turned them off and only run a sump. My best advice is on tanks above the 4' footprint I start recommending sumps, there is nothing better.

+1 on sumps. Once you go sump, you will never want to use any other types of filter. IMHO and IMHE, cleaning canisters is a PITA. I'd rather use HOB filters in any tank that is not planted. You would need multiple HOB and/or canister (and maybe a powerhead) to generate enough flow through your 180g. The only reason why I wouldn't use a sump is if your fishes are small or if overflow noise (sounds like water falling) annoys you. Small fishes always manage to find themselves into the overflow and into the sump, which in annoying to me.

For a tank that large a sump is definitely the way to go. And as previously said, a couple pwer heads to create current in the tank.

foster53 said:
For a tank that large a sump is definitely the way to go. And as previously said, a couple pwer heads to create current in the tank.

Honestly I have no experience with a sump. Therefor I have no idea what exactly they are or how they work.

A sump is just a wet/dry filter that sits under your tank. They look like this

CPR-CR500-Wet-Dry-Filter-(Wet-Dry-Only)-99.jpg

This is how it works
A pump sits in side the filter and pumps the water up to the tank when the water level gets to high it goes into a overflow box and back down it goes.

Most people build their own because its cheaper then buying one and then you m can make it how you want it. I have enough space in mine that I grow plants in it. A setup like this would be like this

images-2.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom