What filter should I get

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishKeeper2015

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am looking for a new filter for my 10 gallon. Currently I have a Aqueon quiet flow ten but it doesn't filter as well as I would like it to. The water is usually foggy. I am thinking about getting a cheap canister filter. What would be a nice cheap one. Preferably under 25$.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

There is one on Dr. foster and Smith called a rapid mini canister for tanks up to 20 gals. for $22.49

Anything else is there a way for me to put stuff like ceramic or more activated carbon into my aqueon quetflow 10. My water is starting to get foggy now

Anything else is there a way for me to put stuff like ceramic or more activated carbon into my aqueon quetflow 10. My water is starting to get foggy now

Why don't you put ceramic rings in your Aqueon or something like Seachem Matrix?

I like the idea of the mini canister where you can add additional filter media including ceramic or active carbon

I've made my own filters which includes a polishing pad of sorts. API makes a super micro filtration filter that I have cut to fit in the cartridge and comes in a set of 3.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If your water is cloudy then it's not a problem with your filter. It's usually either one of two things.

One - Bacterial bloom - What are the parameters of your tank? Detectable levels of ammonia or nitrites cause this.

Two: Green Water - Early on in green water the water appears to be cloudy rather than green. It's suspended algae in the water, just low levels of it. You can take some water out into a white cup to check the color. If it's green it's algae and different methods of treatment have to be visited.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437138827.192060.jpg
Intrenal but does the job

I am looking for a new filter for my 10 gallon. Currently I have a Aqueon quiet flow ten but it doesn't filter as well as I would like it to. The water is usually foggy. I am thinking about getting a cheap canister filter. What would be a nice cheap one. Preferably under 25$.

Oceans Free Ultra Slim 03.

It's a Chinese-made ripoff of the Marina S series, but it's better in every way.

If your water is cloudy then it's not a problem with your filter. It's usually either one of two things.

One - Bacterial bloom - What are the parameters of your tank? Detectable levels of ammonia or nitrites cause this.

Two: Green Water - Early on in green water the water appears to be cloudy rather than green. It's suspended algae in the water, just low levels of it. You can take some water out into a white cup to check the color. If it's green it's algae and different methods of treatment have to be visited.

Yep my water is green

Yep my water is green

My favorite way to handle green water is a UV sterilizer. The sunsun brand sterilizers can be bought for a relatively low amount (it will only work on algae)

A total tank blackout for 3 days is another treatment for it. Surround the tank in cardboard and but a thick blanket or something over the top to prevent any light from getting in. An air stone would probably be recommended for this. If any of the algae lives it could happen again.

Changing the filter or filter media isn't going to do anything for green water.

Back
Top Bottom