Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-28-2005, 03:26 PM   #11

yeah it works great!!! its really cheap and all you gotta do is throw it away and then the sponge is barely dirty and much much easier to rinse out.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:51 PM   #12
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyNicole
I actually use polyfiber stuffing from walmart (like filter floss i guess) as the first filtraton, then a sponge, then the biomax. Becuase i canjust toss the fiber stuff and my sponge doesn't get nearly as gunked up!!!.
But since the polyfiber is the finest mechanical filtration, it makes more sense to use it as the last item....besides, if you put it first, it gets gunked-up faster, and will cause your media basket to rise (and overflow) if you are a few days tardy on your maintenance.

www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:50 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
If you were to use polyfiber I would use bio-rings first.. then sponge then polyfiber in that order (were you put the bio-rings doesnt really matter they dont disrupt flow much because they dont get clogged up with muck very easily).. and a HOB is MUCH easier to maintain then any canister filter IME.. and the Aquaclear is best HOB filter out there (I think this is the oppionon of most the members here) so.. I would use a Aquaclear on a 29 gallon for ease of maintaince..
Old 12-29-2005, 12:07 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
I'd say XP1 or XP2, or a Emperor 280. The 280 may not be enough for a 55G though, but would do great on the 29G. If you were planning on moving it to a 55G, I'd say XP2 for cannister. Might have a bit of a strong current in the 29G, but the XP3 would be way too much. I have the XP3 in my 55G and I think it's just a bit too strong for that. But the filter is so easy to maintain.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:16 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah who knows what I'll end up getting in the long run as I become more obsessed so it's good to know what you guys think about the different canister filters out there. I just figured an Aquaclear because it's cheaper, but I haven't ruled out an Emperor yet...
Ryehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 12:38 AM   #16
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
I prefer the Aquaclear line over the Marineland filters for a few reasons: 1) Dependability; 2) media customisibility; 3) modular parts that are inexpensive and easy to obtain; 4) overall media volume; 5) price; 6) ease of use and maintenance.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 12:54 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
I find the Aquaclear more dependable over the long hall.. they are build to last.. I repaired my last marinland filter several times before giving it away.. my aquaclear is still with me after over a decade of use and no repairs that I can remember.. 8)
Old 12-29-2005, 01:00 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

I think I'll try the Aquaclear . Just one question... what is the Ammo-rid insert exactly? I know it's for ammonia of course but isn't the biological filtration from the ceramic rings (biomax insert) enough?
Old 12-29-2005, 01:11 AM   #19
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to RoK Send a message via MSN to RoK
Ammo-rid is to suck up ammonia. Not good for a tank you want to keep cycled, it will starve the benificial bacteria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toirtis
if you go with the AquaClear, run it with two sponges and a bag of bio-max.
That is what I do, with the biomax on top, and it works great.
Current fish (includes all 3 running tanks): Polypterids, severums (of which I raised from eggs), gouramis, plecos (gold spot ones & a gurupa), loaches (zebras, yoyos, & a kubotai), macculocchi spotted silver dollars, an African butterfly fish, & Ctenopomas (a leopard & an ansorgii)
RoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 01:19 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sounds good to me... I'd rather not waste money on the Ammo-rid anyway so good to know I definately don't want it. I'll get some extra sponges instead.

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com