Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-29-2005, 01:27 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmaji
If you were to use polyfiber I would use bio-rings first.. then sponge then polyfiber in that order (were you put the bio-rings doesnt really matter they dont disrupt flow much because they dont get clogged up
The thing about that is though you want the biorings exposed to air, wich is why they are the last filtration. and if you put the polyfiber last then its just going to float to the top becuase nothing is holding it down. Thats the beauty of the stuffing is becuase it gets clogged up before teh sponge and is much cheaper to throw away and you don't have to worry about the sponge getting that clogged up. It works great for me anyway and i use just enough polyfiber that i know when i chagne it out i can just toss it.. and i clean the filters out about every 2 weeks.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:03 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
float around aayy.. you must be more gentel then I.. LOL
I would stuff it in there.. :P

the bio-rings being exposed to air is a preferance in how you want the media to work really.. but unless its getting flow over it its not going to benifit from the air IMO..

Old 12-29-2005, 02:13 AM   #23
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyNicole
The thing about that is though you want the biorings exposed to air, wich is why they are the last filtration.
Correct.

Quote:
... stuffing is becuase it gets clogged up before teh sponge and is much cheaper to throw away and you don't have to worry about the sponge getting that clogged up.
Who throws away sponges? Most of mine are years old...that is what rinsing is for....and it makes no sense to put fine filtration before coarse.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 02:30 AM   #24

right Christian.. but the sponges are a PITA to rinse out when they get really clogged up.. and when you have the stuffing first you can throw it away and you barely have to rinse the sponge out.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:42 AM   #25
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyNicole
right Christian.. but the sponges are a PITA to rinse out when they get really clogged up..
See, I don't find that at all....with any of the 70 or so Aquaclear sponges I rinse regularly.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 02:46 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
<<-- never threw out a AC sponge
wow.. I didnt know you were saying that at all.
Ive never found them tough to rince out.. hmm..
Old 12-29-2005, 02:56 AM   #27

I just think it takes forever to rinse rinse rinse rinse, and im so OCD that i have to rinse till the water runs clear!!! LOL.

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com