Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-27-2005, 09:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

What filter should I get?

I've read the reviews and they were helpful but I'm still not sure what filter I should get for my 29 gallon. Right now I have a Zoomed 501 canister filter that was for a turtle tank. It certainly does the job well but I was thinking about getting a new one for two reasons: 1) The Zoomed is really annoying to clean sometimes and 2) I'm thinking about upgrading to possibly a 55 gallon at some point so it'd be nice to have a filter that can handle that. I was thinking about possibly an Aquaclear or Penguin (hang on back for ease of cleaning). The Penguin just seems nice because of the biowheel but does that really help much more with biofiltration? Does anyone have any suggestions? I mainly just want a good easy to clean filter thats rated over 50 gallons.

Ryehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 09:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Rena filstar xp3 or Fluval 404. Depends on current, and stocking levels and type of tank you want in the future. I could rattle off many more filters.

Old 12-27-2005, 10:29 PM   #3

Well they say a canister filter is the best... ive heard great things about the fluval. But i personally love my aquaclear's. I have 2 aquaclear 70's running on my 55 gallon tank that filter 300 gph each. according to them the 70's is rated for up to a 70 gallon tank. I have an aquaclear 30 on my 10 gallon tank and it does an excellent job as well. HTH!!
Old 12-28-2005, 08:07 AM   #4
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to RoK Send a message via MSN to RoK
You can get bio-max things for aquaclears (they actually come with the filter anyway) which do basically the same thing as a bio-wheel except they stay in water. I would go with an aquaclear 70 on a 29g.
Current fish (includes all 3 running tanks): Polypterids, severums (of which I raised from eggs), gouramis, plecos (gold spot ones & a gurupa), loaches (zebras, yoyos, & a kubotai), macculocchi spotted silver dollars, an African butterfly fish, & Ctenopomas (a leopard & an ansorgii)
RoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 10:13 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like AquaClear HOB's too. I think a canister is sort of overkill on a typicaly 29gallon. If you already had a spare one, use it, but I wouldn't go buy a new $70 canister for it.

a filstar xp3 would be far too much current for a 29gallon. I run that on my 75gallon and it still blows some plants around. XP1 would be more suited to that size tank.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:24 PM   #6
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
I will concur that an AquaClear 70 or Filstar XP1 would be your best choices....if you go with the AquaClear, run it with two sponges and a bag of bio-max.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 01:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah thats what I figured about the canister filters. I'd love to get one, but then again I'd love to be able to get a tank big enough that I would need one. Until then I guess I might as well not spend the money.

Everyone seems to like the AquaClears and they're definately cheaper than the Penguins so that sounds good to me.
Ryehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 02:10 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jrp1588
I'll add one last positive vote on the aquaclear filters. I have one on my 30gal and one on my 75gal. Love them both.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toirtis
I will concur that an AquaClear 70 or Filstar XP1 would be your best choices....if you go with the AquaClear, run it with two sponges and a bag of bio-max.
I actually use polyfiber stuffing from walmart (like filter floss i guess) as the first filtraton, then a sponge, then the biomax. Becuase i canjust toss the fiber stuff and my sponge doesn't get nearly as gunked up!!!.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:13 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jrp1588
huh, stuffing, never consideredthat. lol

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com