What filter to use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlindseyjr

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently bought a used 20 gal tank manufactured by All Glass. Don't have the exact dimensions, but it's their standard 20 gal. On the rear left portion of the hood there is a cutout which is approximately 5"x 2". I can't get a hold of the guy I bought it from, so I was wondering if anyone might have an idea of which filter might fit. l could just take the hood with me to the LSF, but Big Al's prices are much better.

Thanks
John

The measurements of the HOB that you choose should be available either from bigals description, or from the HOB manufacturer's website. The open portion of the back of that hood is just a generic sized cutout to receive a HOB of your choice.

Then there's always cutting tools to make the hood fit the bigger filter.. hehe!

If it has the All Glass top which consists of 2 pieces of glass with a plastic hinge and a plastic strip across the back, you can easily cut it to fit whatever filter you decide on. For a 20g tank, I'd probably go with a Penguin 170. My second choice would be a Whisper 30 although you could probably get by just fine with the Whisper 20. I'd rather oversize the filtration a little. I like the Penguin because it has the Bio Wheel for biological filtration. I believe this is the most efficient biofilter you can get for a FW tank. Your bio filter is not disturbed when you change filter cartridges. Marineland makes a Penguin 125 also. I've had two of those and didn't like them...they seemed to clog up very quickly for some reason. The 170 is a good filter though and will run for years. I'm not sure of the measurements on these filters though. Another option, if you're willing to spend the extra money, is a canister filter. You can't go wrong with one of the smaller Ehiems.
Welcome to AA.com!

Back
Top Bottom